NE Tournament
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Forum Index -> NE Online
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to participate in a NE tournament?
Yes
90%
 90%  [ 18 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 20

Kurai
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Great , Thank you Roy Mr. Green
EAGLEMUT
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject:

Hello, I'd like to take this opportunity to finally try out NE and participate.

ESO name: EAGLEMUT
Time: GMT +1, preferably weekends, but can arrange another time
roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for signing up!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RoySOTR

Feel free to add me.
caveman909
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject:

I updated the rules of the tournament, in case some of you were interested!
EAGLEMUT
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject:

Certainly interested!
What's the actual tournament format going to be, though? For example will we play a BO3 against every other player and get score for wins, or will there be predetermined brackets, or something else?
Makedonia
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject:

Right now I travelled to my home country without my computer. This post is from my phone. But anyway I am coming back until next Saturday. When will the first game be?
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Roy and/or caveman, we should have a chat about the tournament rules. They're not really good yet and should already be much more specific ^^ It looks like you'll need some tilanic tyranny Razz

Here some remarks:

• Malta for example is one the last maps I'd consider suitable for a tournament (rebels, lots of water, OP natives). Just like all maps with wide rivers or water (Nile River, Vinland), bottlenecks (Alpine Pass, Atlas Mountains), awkward/unfair spawning behaviour (Nile Delta, Trade Routes) or not really interesting natives (Reservations, Appalachians, Mesopotamia) or too big zoom differences (Alps) don't really suit for competitive play. Syrian Desert might be a bad choice as well because of the yet existing, OP Hashashin natives.
  • The AI limit hotfix should be obligatory as requirement, so that all civs can be used.
  • We should definitely use the much better balanced ESOC maps. (see http://eso-community.net/) While we can't fulfill the balance standards of a 'serious' AoE3 tournament, we should do anything possible to raise the fairness.
  • The maps ideally have the observer UI by Aizamk, so we can stream tournament matches.
    This doesn't apply to any NE map right now, but only ESOC maps. I can implement it quickly to NE maps, however, but using the ESOC maps would be faster for sure.
  • Maps I consider balanced and interesting enough for a NE tournament are:
    • Barbary Coast
    • Lake Baikal
    • Levant
    • Nile Flood
    • Rhine
    • Sahara
    • Shangri La
    • Ural
    • (+maybe Black Forest and Finland)

• Rules for the ratio/tolerance/choice of NE/AoE3 maps & civs are either missing or incomplete. What do you mean with can only be played once in game? Like in every matchup or for the whole tournament?
  • How can you people expect to be interested in a tournament that doesn't have these rules? Razz

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Makedonia
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject:

Tilanus Commodor wrote:
Roy and/or caveman, we should have a chat about the tournament rules. They're not really good yet and should already be much more specific ^^ It looks like you'll need some tilanic tyranny Razz

Here some remarks:

• Malta for example is one the last maps I'd consider suitable for a tournament (rebels, lots of water, OP natives). Just like all maps with wide rivers or water (Nile River, Vinland), bottlenecks (Alpine Pass, Atlas Mountains), awkward/unfair spawning behaviour (Nile Delta, Trade Routes) or not really interesting natives (Reservations, Appalachians, Mesopotamia) or too big zoom differences (Alps) don't really suit for competitive play. Syrian Desert might be a bad choice as well because of the yet existing, OP Hashashin natives.
  • The AI limit hotfix should be obligatory as requirement, so that all civs can be used.
  • We should definitely use the much better balanced ESOC maps. (see http://eso-community.net/) While we can't fulfill the balance standards of a 'serious' AoE3 tournament, we should do anything possible to raise the fairness.
  • The maps ideally have the observer UI by Aizamk, so we can stream tournament matches.
    This doesn't apply to any NE map right now, but only ESOC maps. I can implement it quickly to NE maps, however, but using the ESOC maps would be faster for sure.
  • Maps I consider balanced and interesting enough for a NE tournament are:
    • Barbary Coast
    • Lake Baikal
    • Levant
    • Nile Flood
    • Rhine
    • Sahara
    • Shangri La
    • Ural
    • (+maybe Black Forest and Finland)

• Rules for the ratio/tolerance/choice of NE/AoE3 maps & civs are either missing or incomplete. What do you mean with can only be played once in game? Like in every matchup or for the whole tournament?
  • How can you people expect to be interested in a tournament that doesn't have these rules? Razz

How come no bottlenecks? Won't it be more strategic because you are going to have people rushing to fortify the bottlenecks? That would be strategic.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject:

Yes it is, but it is also tedious to watch. Maybe there should be a time-based winner bonus that encourages and rewards early victories requiring early aggressive play. ^^

Makedonia
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject:

Tilanus Commodor wrote:
Yes it is, but it is also tedious to watch. Maybe there should be a time-based winner bonus that encourages and rewards early victories requiring early aggressive play. ^^

Then how come most treaty games are on Himalayas, Deccan or Amazonia? Those are the three choke point maps.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject:

Well, it's not a treaty tournament, right? ^^ We do not want matches to last for too long, which is contrary to the idea of treaty play that prefers the maps you mentioned for exactly that reason. Wink
caveman909
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Tilanus Commodor wrote:

I think your first ideas are good, and I think we'll reconsider the allowed maps. I'll test myself on 1v1 on your suggested map, to see which one would be good. Concerning the ESOC map, why not, but after all Unknown (a bit like Great Plains) is a quite balanced map, although you cant predict how the map will be Wink

EDIT: I tried your suggestions, and my conclusion is as following:
Good maps:
- Barbary Coast
- Rhine
- Sahara
- Shangri-La
- Black Forest
I'll add those to the list!
The others arent quite good because of often specific reasons (f.ex. Lake Baikal is far too big, Ural is very easy to defend, etc...).

For the time bonus, it is...bad lol You should be able to make FF, FI or boom. Some civs are really bad at rushing, some are good at it. But that makes the whole game interesting !

Now the streaming: I'm not against it, but for the moment we're 8. I'm not sure if it would be such a big deal to stream those lol (we'll have the game records anyway)

Finally for the civs allowed, I thought it was quite clear, but I'll reformulate: you can only play a civ once, meaning if you played Sweden at your first game, you wont be able to play them again afterwards. Mr. Green

@Makedonia: the tournament will start when we're at least 10 I'd say. If not more people subscribe, then will just go with 8. So Saturday should be fine Smile
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject:

Okay, lemme run through each point:
  1. The time-based bonus was more of a joke Razz

2. Can you please remove Malta from the map pool? It's not really a balanced map with the random janissaries and galleys. ^^

3. I also don't understand why you neither allow the original maps nor mention the ESOC maps. They have much better balance.

4. With the AI Limit Hotfix (which should be mandatory) there aren't 14 playable civs, but 21 civs.

5. You should explicitely disallow the Inca and Persian bonus civs.

6. And finally I think you should expand the deadline for a last time since you have updated the rules once again and because I posted on facebook about the tourney to get more players. Mr. Green

Makedonia
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Tilanus Commodor wrote:
Well, it's not a treaty tournament, right? ^^ We do not want matches to last for too long, which is contrary to the idea of treaty play that prefers the maps you mentioned for exactly that reason. Wink

Oh! Thanks for clarifying! I thought this is a treaty tournament! Also are we going to use just NE maps or also use ES maps? May you post the rule book?
caveman909
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Makedonia wrote:
Tilanus Commodor wrote:

Oh! Thanks for clarifying! I thought this is a treaty tournament! Also are we going to use just NE maps or also use ES maps? May you post the rule book?

Look at the first post of this thread, all (updated infos) will be there! Wink

@Tilanus: my turn to respond then :p
- About Malta: actually I think it can be fun to play on it, (2 janissaries arent really a big deal, and in a sense its balanced since there are like 4 groups of 2 on each side of the map Razz). If people really dont want to play on it, there's no problem with it, it's just a possibility.

- About original maps: there are clearly awful 1v1 maps on the original ones, so maybe there will be more classic maps added (gp etc...) but I think people will prefer to play on NE maps anyway. Like you wrote on Facebook, it's a not-so-serious tournament after all, the goal is to have fun more than to see "who's the best NE player of all time" Mr. Green
I'll add this ESOC map, but again it wont be mandatory to play on it.

- About the inca/persian civ: sure, I thought it was clear since they arent finished/completed, but I'll write it explicitly.

- About the civ limit: Oh didnt see that one, thx. But no need to write "mandatory" in bold, it's already written Wink

- About the inscription limit: sure thing, I was going to do it today (you seem more stressed about this than I am, relax ^^)
RoyalGuard
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Hey guys I will gladly join if you guys are accepting participants. My ESO name is: RoyalGuard1001 . I am in the Steam Napoleonic Era Group and my steam name is: RoyalGuard
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8