Capital Ships

Forum Index -> NE Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Capital Ships

Hey, everyone.

I thought of an idea for some of the main civs. Perhaps the main civs can have a capital ship, which would have a kind of daymio sort of aura, to give nearby ships stat boots. It would be an oversized and better frigate, one build rate, able to train troops, broadside attack...kind of like a mother ship. It would make naval warfare much more interesting, and be very expensive (perhaps 1200 wood 1200 gold) with perhaps a two minute train time. They could have cool names such as the HMS Victory, USS Constitution, etc. you get the point. Obviously civs like Switzerland who don't have a navy couldn't have it, but places like the British and French could. What do you guys think?

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RoySOTR

Feel free to add me.
King of Persia
Fusilier
Fusilier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject:

with 20k lives and 24 cannons lol

and if it's possible propably a hero? i mean the respawning is gonna be tricky but it's hopefully possible
caveman909
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject:

King of Persia wrote:

and if it's possible propably a hero? i mean the respawning is gonna be tricky but it's hopefully possible

a hero? like you have a ship that rebuilds himselfs in the middle of the water? lol
Girafarig
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:26 am    Post subject:

caveman909 wrote:
King of Persia wrote:

a hero? like you have a ship that rebuilds himselfs in the middle of the water? lol

Well, ships did (and do) get repaired in the middle of the sea, as long as the damage isn't critical. Back then, ships were essentially an assortment of planks, so if one breaks you can replace it or nail it back into place.

A respawning ship is a little harder to explain, though. Unless it's got a skeleton crew that'd cut back costs, too! (?)
Orwell
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject:

I think this idea could be very interesting, I like the idea of a lead ship, why not just call it a flag ship, and maybe different civ's flagships have different bonuses based on their famous admirals?
caveman909
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject:

Girafarig wrote:
caveman909 wrote:
King of Persia wrote:

Well, ships did (and do) get repaired in the middle of the sea, as long as the damage isn't critical. Back then, ships were essentially an assortment of planks, so if one breaks you can replace it or nail it back into place.

A respawning ship is a little harder to explain, though. Unless it's got a skeleton crew that'd cut back costs, too! (?)

Hmmmm, but still if it has 0 hp, it should break (like the explorer falling down). I'd prefer a respawnable ship (like daimyos).
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject:

caveman909 wrote:
King of Persia wrote:

Yea, like the Black Pearl lol

Honestly, I could imagine a "hero" flagship (just the class+aura, not reviving; self-heal could work though) sent from HC, maybe with a fixed resource cost. That seems like the only reasonable approach to me from a balance point of view. It doesn't increase the gap between land and water civs as much as a trainable flagship would. Also a flagship being trainable from docks at age 3 or 4 would encourage players to build them first. While increased train time, res and pop costs and so on would be effective counterbalance measures I dislike the idea of permitting more than 1 flagship in theory. 1er build limits and insane res+pop costs are both awkward solutions. Flagships should be truly exceptional.

Not sure I'd truly make the Frigate bigger for that, but it should look more pompous and richer for sure.

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

I hadn't thought of a ship sent from the home city...

I do like tilanuses ideas...from the docks could be unbalanced.

Would there be a way to ensure that a faction gets a certain name for their ship? Like, hardcode it so that when you get this flagship for Britain it will automatically be called "HMS Victory" rather than one of the generic British ship names.

Feel free to add me.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject:

roy1012 wrote:
Would there be a way to ensure that a faction gets a certain name for their ship? Like, hardcode it so that when you get this flagship for Britain it will automatically be called "HMS Victory" rather than one of the generic British ship names.

Yes, sure. Shipments can sent be again in Imperial Age though, so that means you could get a 2nd flagship. Having the HMS Victory twice makes little sense, a single one would be fine, because I could "hardcode" that name for each civ then. Once you have more than one object though, I'd need to relate on the same name-finding mechanism that is in use for forts, explorers and warships.

Whatever mechanism I'd choose though, it will require someone with bad luck (me) to research and remove the names of historical flagships from Frigates for every civ in order to use them for flagships instead. That's gonna be annoying ^^

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Maybe you could do a tech from the university or something, that you could only research once?

Feel free to add me.
King of Persia
Fusilier
Fusilier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject:

We need honestly more ideas like that Razz
Page 1 of 1