Greatest Idea EVER!

Forum Index -> Mods & Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Makedonia
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Greatest Idea EVER!

I realized something for Napoleonoc Era! There should be a submod for it called "The Imperial Age" and it basically has the stuff that would be if NE was extended to the 1880s. A lot of the groundwork is already payed for this submod. My plans is that maybe t should have some breech-loading rifles and cannons. Cannons should be more powerful yet slower, increasing the amounts of battlefield strategy. Also there should be soldiers that are cheaper and more "spammable" as that is a trait of the 1880s. This submod would have significantly higher population like 1000 pop with really huge maps. Like as large as the AOE3 engine could handle. I mean some stuff that are already in side the mod like Gatling guns. Those aren't exactly 1810's technology. Ironclads like the CSS Merrimack also aren't 1810's.
Does anyone think this would be a good idea?
Zooasaurus
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject:

I don't think this is a good idea...
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Greatest Idea EVER!

Makedonia wrote:
breech-loading

I remember a modder called arcalion having had an obsession about these types of weapons to an extent that almost got him banned on some other mod's forum. Devil

I'll have to be a straight downer for this idea. The NE mod peaks in the NE. That's the whole point of it. Mr. Green I do acknowledge that the WW1-style material battles (that evolved already earlier with the establishment of rapid-fire, MG-style weapons) require a completely different balance that makes artillery even more powerful and establishes mass infantry. But honestly, this would overstretch the timeline and come with a loss of detail and depth. No no no, this is not gonna happen. You can see at many strategy games what awkward issues are caused by too long and too ambitious timelines (Empire Earth, Civilization, ..). 300 years of history are enough. If you just want that time, I recommend you playing games that cover just that such as Ultimate General: Gettysburg.
Makedonia
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject:

But there are a lot of things that pertain to after 1815. I don't know if this is in the next update but some of the tech upgrades should be changed as they pertain more to the Imperial Age rather than the Napoleonic age (cough cough America) which was very early industrial.
Edit: Also what problems do Civ and Empire Earth have?
UnstoppableStreletsy
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject:

This is a great idea I hope you pursue it. We need a mod with a extensive pop cap in ne and also configure ais to build huge armies. More modern weapons is good for any aoe3 mod. Ne would definitly benifit from such a submod.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject:

To make this clear: I'm more willing to remove and replace too industrial/imperial content than to make them legit by expanding the timeline even more. And if that means to replace Gatling Guns and Ironclads, then I will do it.

Games with a too long timespan create anachronisms such as machine guns versus archers or elephants versus tanks which leads to a loss of credibility. AoE3 has enough of them already (Longbows vs. Gatlings) and NE isn't perfect either even though it has a smaller timeline, but will most likey still feature thirty years war swordsmen and napoleonic voltigeurs in adjusted, future versions. I have no interest in making that worse again.

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Girafarig
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject:

Perhaps it'd be an interesting idea for a different mod. I like the time period a lot, and I think the AoE 3 engine is well-suited for that. But, like Tilanus says, adding that to NE would be over-stretching things too much.

However, I disagree on his thoughts on military balance in the years leading to WWI light cavalry still played a role, as did infantry. The only difference would be the disappearance of heavy, anti-cavalry infantry, since rifles and artillery became powerful enough to deal with cavalry in most situations.

It'd probably be a simpler game with less units overall light, skirmisher-like infantry, light cavalry, and artillery (including machine guns). Perhaps some mounted infantry (like the polish Partyzant) for mobility and, if the mod goes all the way into the final stages of WWI, tanks (as a heavy cavalry of sorts) and stormtrooper infantry. No hand infantry, no archaic units (duh), no musketeers, no cuirassers or lancers.
Yurashic
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Bad idea. 1000 population battles are not competitive at all.
Pawelec_POLAND
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Yurashic wrote:
They are extremely competitive - the game keeps fighting my GPU.
roy1012
Infantry Officer
Infantry Officer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject:

This would be the worst idea since playing Age of Empires Online.

Pawelec_POLAND wrote:
Yurashic wrote:
They are extremely competitive - the game keeps fighting my GPU.

That actually made me laugh lol

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RoySOTR

Feel free to add me.
Page 1 of 1