NE Loosing Data After Install

Forum Index -> Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikitamaster
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: NE Loosing Data After Install

I searched the forums and I couldn't find anyone having the same problem as me so I decided to make a post.

This is also my first time posting so I'm sorry if the images are too large as I don't know how to resize them.
---
I learned about NE from the AOE Wiki and decided to give it a shot so I downloaded the installer and installed NE and from the end of the installer, I ran NE (from the 3 buttons provided and it loaded up with no problems).

However, after playing for a bit and experimenting, I closed the game and went away (computer was left running) and when I returned, I tried to search it through my computer to run but it was not showing up in the list when I tried to search by "Expansion" and "Age of Empires"

So the only way to load up the game was to navigate to the AOE folder and launch it from there.

After it loaded up, it loaded onto the Chinese civ with the wrong resolution and all the graphic settings in default so I fixed them up. So I assumed this was just a glitch. However, when I clicked on Single Player then Skirmish, it requested me to create a whole new Home City which I did and when I went to select my civs I had made when played earlier, they weren't showing up.

Creation of new civ

No civs that are hard set or I made are available.

Then I even went to check my saved games and they were gone.

So I lost all my data and stuff from earlier when I played NE.
---
Below is all the things I had before the problem occurred.
---

Self created HCs + hard set ones

Saved games

---
Update #1

I also can't then access the NE custom maps after I load it up for a second time and tells me that I have no custom maps loaded.

---
ADDITIONAL NOTES

This has happened every time I installed the game and then exited and reloaded it later. I have been installing it through the normal instillation and I have tried through custom and every time I close the game and reload it, I loose all my data and have to reset graphics and everything.

I also have tried pinning the program to taskbar after I launch it from the installer where it says Run NE and even tried running it after closing it and it still gives me the same problem.

One thing to note is actually as I run it for the first time after installing it, it shows up on my computer search as Age of Empires III: Expansion 2 but after closing it, it disappears unless I pin it to start menu but then it still gives me an error.

I also have installed this onto my Surface which runs 8.1 and I don't loose any data there

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Hey nikitamaster, welcome to forums and thanks for the detailed illustration of your problem. I have a few questions that I'd like you to check so that we can figure out the root of the problem:

1. When you installed NE didn't it create a shortcut on your desktop?
2. What folders do you see in:
Code:
C:\Users\[YourUser]\Documents\My Games

3. If there is a folder called Napoleonic Era Beta 2, what's inside the Savegame subfolder?
4. Can you eliminate the possibility that someone else than you could have uninstalled NE from your computer or configured it badly? (brother, etc.; even though the existence of the age3n.exe doesn't make it that likely)
5. Do you see in your Control Panel/Programs and Features an entry called "Age of Empires III - The Napoleonic Era version 2.1.8"?

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
nikitamaster
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject:

1. When I installed NE onto my gaming laptop, no shortcut was created on desktop.
(When it was installed onto my Surface, a shortcut was created on desktop)

2. Image provided

3. Image provided + As mentioned in main post, Beijing was created as it was asked for a HC and I created Ikea is just now as I was playing and waiting for a response.

4. I didn't tamper with any of the files from NE and nobody else has access to my computer.
(However, a few months ago I did edit the protoy file in AOE where I removed unit/building cap in The Asian Dynasties but I returned it back to original state from a backup)

5. It does show up within my Control Panel/Programs and Features
(Does not have a icon though. Probably doesn't matter but just saying in case)

---
Additional Notes

The folder within Napoleonic Era Beta 2 known as RMN was empty but when I went to the Program Files (x86) and copied the files from within that RMN within the NEB2 RMN, I could play on the custom maps so I patched that issue.

I also used the NEAILimitHotfix and copied all the files of the AIN into the AIN of the NEB2 AIN folder and I could access all the AI units but those are the only modifications I did myself to get access to the old civs that weren't modified.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject:

Hm, so the program did install correctly obviously (as it's in your control panel). Don't know why the creation of shortcuts should have failed and where your HCs are if not there (I suppose they're not in My Games/Age of Empires 3?).

The part of your explanations that makes me wonder is when you said you went away when your computer was still running and then came back with things having changed. That sounds very .. mysterious? Mr. Green Like some sort of bad magic happened. Maybe a runtime error? I don't know.

You may try to right-click the Savegame folder, Properties and then look in the "Previous versions" tab for older versions of that folder with the files still inside.

If none of these things works, I can only offer you to recreate these HCs taking your explorer name wishes and sending you these HCs fully leveled (or at any other stage you want). Can't do anything about the savegames though.

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
nikitamaster
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject:

I checked inside Documents/My Games/Age of Empires 3/HomeCities and also also inside Documents/My Games/Napoleonic Era Beta 2/HomeCities and in both HC folders they're empty (but in AOE 3, I got all my HCs)

Well like I mentioned before, I tried doing standard install then custom install (both multiple times) when installing NE and whenever I launch the game from the installer after it installs, I have all the HCs and it saves but after I close it, there is no shortcut to launch it.

I tried doing the Previous Versions but there are no previous versions showing up.

I would appreciate it if you could recreate all the HCs at just level 15 (can work my way up!) with random generated explorer names Smile

Yeah, the saved games stuff is weird because I installed AOE 3 back in 2012 on my laptop and I could save games and stuff but however like since last year, whenever I try to save a game in NE or AOE 3, it would freeze on the "Saving [name]" and I couldn't unfreeze it and close the game. I would uninstall and reinstall but we got the game through the internet when MS put it on sale for like $0.11 (all 3 expansions) and I got an installer but sadly I can't find the installer as we had it installed on my old computer and those back ups of the old computer are corrupted so any chance of finding the installer is gone.
^^^
One interesting thing though, the NE that works from launching off the installer of the expansion after installing actually saves my games.
(Anyway this was just extra rant stuff)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Technical Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1