aoe3 steam wine wrapper guide

Forum Index -> Mods & Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Was this helpful or relevant to your needs?
Yes it was helpful
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
I still got ?'s please give feedback at what this guide can help you with
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I have a pc but will tell friends about this guide.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

Clinton's Long Lost Email
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: aoe3 steam wine wrapper guide

This a personal project I have put time and effort into to make aoe3 mods accessible to everyone and myself included javascript:emoticon('Smile')

Many people here may be thinking "why would I need wine" if ne, has a mac release. Well here are some pretty common reasons why wine is a efficiant way of running aoe3, ne, wol, africa+italy, and possibly other mods as well.
1. multiplayer: ever wished you could play multiplayer with your friends on windows or have friends who are too noob to have a mac Topmodel , well multiplayer with wine is a efficient process that mac users and others can benefit from using either gameranger, or lan.
2. You dont have osx or windows: linux, solaris, and some other users, this is a guide targeted to you so the aoe3 community can grow
3. easy installing of several mods "unavailable" to mac, and other users (wol, africa and italy, others)

So before we start here is what works and what doesn't work
What works: Aoe3 the complete collection, Aoe3 retail disc with patches (untested by me personally and is not the supported type used in the guide), Wars of Liberty, Napoleonic Era 2.1.7, Africa, and Italy Expansion, other mods through manual installation (keep reading), gameranger, flash player, and other windows apps that may help you.

Here is what doesnt work (list is small Mr. Green )
age of dynesties installer.exe, new wars of liberty updater (needs java 8, but could work if java is installed manually or another method), some windows bugs and crashes (unnoticable most of the time Mr. Green ), and most pages on steam except library page and some other windows

As you can see a wine wrapper can be a useful tool for the aoe3 player and mod player. Because google drive struggles on my operating system to upload parts of the wine wrapper, I will "tell" you how its done.

So what we need Back To Topic!
You will need many exe files, and other tools to do this correctly:

A app that opens zip/rar files
The adobe flash player exe file (latest)
The steam setup.exe from thier site
http://downloads.dddwnld.com/software/download.php?sid=577&ssid=0&did=1
wineskin winery
any mod exe's and add ons you plan to add
gameranger.exe
a pc (sometimes needed Sad )
a usb drive (for manual installs along with pc)

I am a biased noob who only has XP with osx, so people with ubuntu, and others should read up on how you would install packages for wine.

1. So first open wineskin winery. You should get two engines (1.7.50, and the latest) and also have the latest wrapper version
2. make a blank wrapper and call it what you want with the engine 1.7.50 (you can change later if you need to)
3. install steam using thier setup.exe but dont open steam yet
4. set up exe that boots, to steam.exe
5. get the winetricks all codecs, directmusic, mfc42, mfc40, msxml4, dsound, d3dx9_36, as well as others needed for your personal needs
5a. If all codecs fails to install 13codecx.ax install the bcm exe file listed above, then go to the directory drive_c/Program Files/BCM/Codecs/DIRECTS/Fraunhofer/ in your wrapper to copy and paste the file into your system 32 folder in the wrapper
6. install aoe3 in steam after your account is set up
7. install flash player
9. set up a new overide in wine config called dnsapi.dll and then edit to be windows native (only need this to be set one time) if you dont follow this step you will experience the infinite log in bug in gameranger
10. install the mods you want
This is what I have for you now, later I will have a complete list of how to manual install the things that cannot be installed using a .exe because of coding limitations you might face.

Bug report: Most bugs effect gameranger only
occasional random closes of gameranger
computer crash
wrapper crash
aoe3 fails to open but was clearly installed ok

Doing Manual Installations where needed:
Sometimes, a installer does not support wine. If you try to install it and it says the following "no executeable" or ".exe had to close" then the exe file itself cannot be used to install your mod Sad. Smile But there is a more timeconsuming but effective way to getting the mod installed on your aoe3 copy. You will need to have a donor copy of a bin (or equivilent) folder with the mod installed (needs to be installed or patched correctly for this to work), from a pc that you own. You will also need the usb device to transfer this folder.
1, Find the bin folder in steam and copy its contents
2. paste the contents into the usb device
3. open your mac/other computerand paste the contents into the bin folder in your wine wrapper that hasn't been used yet to install another mod
4. verify that the install worked: if you experienced a bug that said a library, dll, or other file failed to execute then either a. the bin on your usb was patched incorrectly (faulty of thier updater) and you need to update the mod on the pc before you can manual install again, or b. you never played your aoe3 copy on the wrapper yet (many mods require that you played aoe3 once before you installed)

Give credit to me, danielpierera from wol for working on a alternative to java for wine users, and the people who posted helpful hints on winehq. Smile Smile Smile
TrollPrinceBilly XVII
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject:

Off yourself failure.
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject:

Where did you experience failure using the wrapper? Maybe I can help you. This wrapper does support Napoleonic Era, and other mods btw so that should be the easy part.
TrollPrinceBilly XVII
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Wow, everything he does is copy paste bullshit! I was right for once!
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject:

Here is some important updates regarding the wrapper.

1. The unix updater for wars of liberty was completed by danielpierera 'w00t'. He successfully patched wol on a linux distro, while I managed to patch correctly on mac osx (not really installed, I manual installed all the patches 10 mins before the new unix patcher came out Razz )

2. The well liked knights and barbarians prologue 1.00 has been tested on the wrapper and works great as a manual install. One key note, is that you may want to make a copy bin folder because this will convert tad completely. Also there are clones of the same civs (2 saracen, 2 crusader, 2turks). The loader for selecting a hc or ai was also laggier than I would expect so dont freak out if that happens

IMPORTANT NOTE WITH MANUAL INSTALLS
If you notice words are missing, things dont work, or something similar, you just need to delete some of your xmb files.
Delete stringtabley.xml.xmb, protoy.xml.xmb, and techtreey.xml.xmb only
deleting others may have unwanted consequences regarding resolution and such.
I have been working with some new winetricks to see if I can cut down on bugs in gameranger. I found this wierd glitch when you play in regular windows mode. When the game boots, the screen for aoe3 starts up then closes. But when you click join/start again, wol opens like normal. This likely works with vanilla, and other mods as well. w00t
Page 1 of 1