Comments and questions about NE

Forum Index -> NE Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Full_Korbe
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Comments and questions about NE

Hello ! I've just discovered NE, and I'm quite impressed by the sheer content added. Good job to the team, it's incredible !

I'm curious about some decisions you took, so here are my questions :
- Why did you add the Handgunners ? I'm genuinely curious about this because they seem to have a purpose similar to the XBow, except for the gun part, worse range and better survivability against hand attacks. They are quite different on practice, and they seem to scale better in most cases, but I wonder how you got the idea of adding them.

- Same question for the Fusiliers. They are faster, harder-hitter and frailer Musketeers, or so it seems.

- Another genuine question : why do you forbid Polish from hunting ? I do understand that they have strong raiding abilities (even if the lancers are really frail) and it's curious to allow them with a card (which seems good, what with the free upgrades).

- How can you best use the different modes of the Frontiersmen ? I will juggle between harvesting / fighting, because I'm too afraid too lose a villager exploring.

- Italian seem really fun to play. Honestly I can say the same for many civs, but the villagers + moneylending, but I would like to know how they are best played. FF with some moneylending in-between for a good mercenary card ? And what is the actual interest rate ?

- Is it possible to add the NE maps to the main roster, like with the ESOC patch ? And how can I add the latter maps, they are great.

- Some unit icons don't appear. It concerns the handgunners, and maybe others.

And final words, keep up the good work ! I'm really happy to have a new experience on this game.
Clinton's Long Lost Email
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject:

About the hand cannoneers. Many nations employed arquebusiers along side archers. While archers were cheap to come by, arquebusiers were stronger (hand attack especially). Arquebus as you may know were horribly inaccurate so giving them a long range would seem foolish without nerfing accuracy making it a useless unit. Same case with musketeers and fusiliers. During the Napoleonic wars, the fusiliers were the more used units. Polish initially are supposed to be farmers who rely on the howdlany. Frontiersman were skilled with a rifle, and when they needed to, could gather from the wilderness (cutting trees, hunting etc). You can add ne maps to the esoc patch. You just need to modify a few files. You can read more from the aoe3 modding guides on the internet.
Full_Korbe
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the answer and the heads-up on history and I will try to add the maps.
However, I was asking mainly about gameplay reasons. Do handgunners change things in age II ? Are there cases where Musketeers can still be used at age III ?
Clinton's Long Lost Email
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Handgunners are complex. If you expect a cav, pike rush then the handgunners are more effective. Crossbows outperform in scenarios when the light infantry can be protected by a chokepoint or heavy infantry effectively. For british, and italians, archers are a better investment in the later ages, however for italians, hand cannons can do better against infantry, that are close together in certian formations. Musketeers can be used in later ages beyond fortress. Musketeers come much cheaper than fusiliers. Its recommended for the most part to stick to musketeers in greater numbers. When resources (gold and food) allow, fusiliers can and should replace musketeers and thier roles, unless there is a shortage in either resource especially gold. Eventually Tilanus will likely remove archers for certian civs or weaken them somewhat (british, others?) due to historical inaccuracy in later ages so hand cannons will become a more integral part of some civs. Poland can make good use of hand cannons with the church tech.
Firestorm
NE Guard
NE Guard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Well, Clinton's Long Lost Email gave you good answer already. About the Hand Cannoner, on the next version it is renamed Arquebusier and it is a good, cheap and useful unit. Several civilizations will get a Royal Upgrade of it on Age 4, so it will continue to be useful on late game as well. Just Italy and Switzerland (probably Spain too) will keep the Crossbowman unit. Britain will still have Longbowmen but they will be nerfed and there won't be a way to upgrade them beyond veteran status. The Ottomans too shall receive a new archer unit but it misses the Arquebusier. Fusiliers too are being reworked a bit, as do a lot of features of NE mod. Stay tuned, the next version (NE2.2) will surprise you.
The last Austriahungarian
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Firestorm wrote:
Well, Clinton's Long Lost Email gave you good answer already. About the Hand Cannoner, on the next version it is renamed Arquebusier and it is a good, cheap and useful unit. Several civilizations will get a Royal Upgrade of it on Age 4, so it will continue to be useful on late game as well. Just Italy and Switzerland (probably Spain too) will keep the Crossbowman unit. Britain will still have Longbowmen but they will be nerfed and there won't be a way to upgrade them beyond veteran status. The Ottomans too shall receive a new archer unit but it misses the Arquebusier. Fusiliers too are being reworked a bit, as do a lot of features of NE mod. Stay tuned, the next version (NE2.2) will surprise you.

Are we gonna have per....cof i cant wait.

Can you give a small spoiler? Wink
HE MUST EXEMPLIFY THE EXTREME OF ALL THINGS, GOOD AND EVIL!
THAT IS WHY HIS RETAINERS ENVY AND ADORE HIM, AND WHY THE FLAMES OF ASPIRATION, TO BE AS THE KING IS, CAN BURN WITHIN
HIS PEOPLE!

I SHALL GRIEVE AND I SHALL WEEP, BUT I SHALL NEVER REGRET!
-Iskandar, king of conquerors.
Full_Korbe
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Okay, that makes a lot of sense.
Thanks, 2.2 sure sounds promising !
Firestorm
NE Guard
NE Guard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject:

@the last austriahungarian
I can't spoil anything mate, I'm just an assistant. These decisions are beyond me. Think I did show an image of some dutch RG on june. There are on a topic called Euro 2016, I think. But right now I'm to lazy to check Topmodel
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Hey, Firestorm and CLLE already answered most of your question, so I'll just fill the gaps:

• Arquebusiers ("Hand Cannoneers") are - unlike Crossbows - very effective against hand infantry. They have both a ranged and melee bonus versus heavy infantry. CLLE mentioned the inaccuracy of the primitive firearms. Historically that was the reason why Arquebusiers and many other early gunpowder units were primarily trained (and armored) for melee.
  • Fusiliers aren't just faster and more "hard-hitting", their actual core advantage over Musketeers is their great ranged bonus against cavalry. Musketeers only counter cavalry in melee. So you might say Fusiliers are a bit like Dragoons except for the fact they're infantry.
  • I haven't created this civ malus myself, but I imagine Polish settlers aren't permitted to hunt (of course, primarily for gameplay variation) because historically hunting was often a privilege of the nobility and Poland had a unique nobility system. Apart from that Poland was very agricultural back then. So I guess that might have inspired the former team to create this bonus.
  • This juggling with Frontiersman modes will come to an end in the next version. Also, the eco functions of the Frontiersmen will disappear. In the multiplayer meta it proved very effective to raid the hunts (deers, etc.) next to the enemy and then either support the explorer in getting powerful treasures or directly switching to resource gathering. Frontiersmen roughly have gather rates like villagers, but do better in hunting I think. Since that's a really ugly playstyle, I'm happy to remove these functions from the unit.
  • Italy will also receive huge updates. They profit a lot from early free+extra resources. So they're effective at rushes of any kind and strategies likes fast fortress.

Thanks for the positive feedback, glad you appreciate NE! Mr. Green

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Page 1 of 1