Windows 8 & 10 compatibility

Forum Index -> Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike0liver
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Windows 8 & 10 compatibility

Please forgive me if I'm raking over old ground but I want to play AoE 3 - Napoleonic. I am running Windows 8 on my laptop and Windows 10 on my desktop PC.

What do I need to own and download to be able to run the game on both these machines? I have heard there are compatibility problems and I don't want to buy AoE 3 and any required expansions then find I can't run the game because of these incompatibilities.

Any help would be gratefully received and appreciated.

Mike
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject:

Hey Mike, I'm using Win 10 myself with the steam edition and had no problems. Can't say anything about Win 8 though.

The requirements for NE are listed on our downloads page. You basically need the latest patches for TWC and TAD for your AoE3. If you're having a CD installation, I recommend backing up that folder before installing NE.

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
mike0liver
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Windows 8 & 10 compatibility

Thanks TC - I'll do a bit of checking on AoE 3 and the expansions (I only have AoE 1 & 2 at the moment) so there will need to be a little financial investment.

I'm not a great fan of Steam and prefer installation from disks - I'll bear in mind what you say about folder back-up.

I've been using Windows 10 on my PC for a while now and all seems OK but I haven't yet changed over my laptop and prefer to use that for running games. If I get problems with Windows 8, I'll get back to the forum and let everyone know.

By the way, I'm a published military historian and, if I can offer any appropriate assistance, please let me know.

Mike
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Windows 8 & 10 compatibility

You're welcome. Smile What are your special fields in military history?

mike0liver
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Windows 8 & 10 compatibility

I've just purchased AoE 3 with the War Chiefs and Asian Dynasties expansions. As soon as they arrive, I'll try installing them under Windows 8. If that works, you'll probably get a cry for help as I try to download and install NE (I'm not very good with these computery things) Confused

My area of "expertise" is the Peninsular War and, in particular, the Spanish Army. However, if you have other requirements, I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Cheers,
Mike
Clinton's Long Lost Email
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

Well once you have aoe3 steam installed, obtaining and installed ne is quite simple because of the easy to use installer. When you download it on this site, download it as a .exe file. When it is finished, click on it and then run. While the installer does the rest for you, make you have the steam install selected or it may not work as intended.
mike0liver
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Windows 8 & 10 compatibility

Thanks for the info. Is it absolutely ESSENTIAL to have AoE 3 installed under Steam? I'd prefer to avoid Steam if at all possible. I have three other games that use Steam and I had major problems with each of them concerning which it took me forever to get support from Steam. I am not a fan.

However, if it is mandatory to install under Steam to get NE up & running, then so be it. But experience says I'll have problems. It all sounds very easy, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. The biggest concern I have is that Windows 8 will give problems. I've read lots of forum postings on that subject.

Cheers,
Mike
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows 8 & 10 compatibility

mike0liver wrote:
My area of "expertise" is the Peninsular War and, in particular, the Spanish Army. However, if you have other requirements, I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Hey, that sounds great. I have started with my efforts to modernize the Spanish civilization especially in late game and could need a helping hand in research that guides me to points of interest in Spanish history. Do you have Skype at any chance? That'd be great, because it's our #1 communication tool. Otherwise we could mail..

Quote:
I've just purchased AoE 3 with the War Chiefs and Asian Dynasties expansions. As soon as they arrive, I'll try installing them under Windows 8. If that works, you'll probably get a cry for help as I try to download and install NE (I'm not very good with these computery things) Confused

Steam is a blessing in regards of installing mods, because if you would ever mess up your installation with it, Steam comes with a very handy repair tool that restores the original game in its default state. Smile

mike0liver
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Windows 8 & 10 compatibility

OK. Happy to help with the historical side - I have a friend in San Sebastian who knows more about Spanish Military history than I and I'm sure he'd be happy to fill in any gaps I might have. Yes I am on Skype - how do I get my address to you confidentially?

Next: I have installed AoE III but am holding off installing the expansions until I know this is working properly. At the moment, when I try to run the game, I get error messages telling me the following files are missing and that I should re-install: binkw32.dll; deformerdll.dll; granny2.dll and rockalldll.dll. Will a re-install do the trick or is this a known bug that requires special treatment? I'm using Windows 10 as my OS.

Finally, I am not getting requests to run under Steam from my system, so will leave that aspect alone until I have everything working properly first. Maybe, then, I'll see if I can switch things to Steam...

LATER:

Well, the uninstall/re-install did nothing but waste a large chunk of time. I got the same result when I tried to run the game. I have found places on the net where I can download copies of the missing .dll files but I have no idea where to put them when I have them. I guess I'll just have to wait for some help.

STILL LATER:

I found where the installation put all the files and lo & behold the missing .dll files are all there - bold as brass - what's going on?

EVEN LATER:

I think I've cracked it! I copied the files from the location where the AoE 3 files were installed to the Windows System 32 folder. This didn't seem to solve it at first, then I had n inspiration, right-clicked on the launch icon and clicked on "Run as Administrator" - Bingo! I'm now installing the two expansions and then on to downloading NE and seeing if I can make that happen. All this with no need to involve Steam.

Cheers,
Mike
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject:

All that work without steam. Confused

Why would you want to do that?
Personally obtaining a steam copy of aoe3 is quite cheap when its discounted and something you may consider investing in as it avoids all these issues. Another avenue that I doubt you could get being a windows user, is the mac version of aoe3. That version of aoe3 is free on the internet these days and is very ne friendly.
mike0liver
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject:

I appreciate your help but my past experiences with Steam have not been good. I obtained my (legal) CD copies of the AoE 3 complete collection for £10 (perfectly legally) and I had a rough idea of what to do during the installation process - which worked fine in the end.

I can't afford a Mac, so the availability of NE for that platform is of no interest right now.

Now, down to a new problem. I downloaded and installed NE 2.1.7b but, as soon as I tried to run the programme, I got exactly the same messages about the four .dll files (same four). I'm sure you'll tell me that I wouldn't have this problem if I was using Steam but please humour me on that subject.

If someone could guide me through what I need to do (bearing in mind that the .dll files are in my Windows system 32 folder) to achieve the final breakthrough, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,
Mike
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject:

Well it sounds like a few things could have gone wrong. I know sometimews you need to play your aoe3 tad copy a few times before you can safely play a mod. If you did that, you should follow the same steps you did to get aoe3 working for the ne mod now since a modded aoe3 is a seperate app from tad. Sounds like windows 10 is not aoe3 friendly from other people with similar problems. I've heard some people say thier aoe3 mod had a error dtatign that the mod was for windows 8 and 7 only as well while other people could install the mod perfectly fine. Wierd thing is I had a similar bug with the ne mod once on windows 7 after I did not play it for a few weeks. Never bothered to fix it or reinstall it since I am a mac user who could either use wine or the free to obtain mac copy.

About the mac I recommended. You do not need to actually need to have a mac to make it work. I would recommend googling the dmg for the os of mac you want and then emulating it on virtualbox. The hard part will be finding the dmg you want so you can buy it if you want also. If you get that to work I know someone who has free copies of aoe3 with the expansions for mac you can use. As well as some other games like aom.
mike0liver
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Windows 8 & 10 compatibility

Maybe I should uninstall NE 2.1.7.b and run TAD a few times.

I've tried to put the .dll files into NE 2.1.7b folders but there doesn't seem to be any folder for such files in the directory. I have already put them in the system 32 directory as part of the original exercise for AoE3.

As far as looking into using a Mac emulation, but I'm not into computer-speak. Lots of abbreviations only confuse me - you have to know what the letters stand for before you can translate them into a google search Smile . I don't think I want to spend any more money at this point. At present, I'd sooner see if someone can tell me where to put the .dll files so they are no longer judged as "missing" (only clean answers, please) - hopefully Tilanus C can help?

Thanks for the offer involving your friend - I'll take a rain-check if that's OK.

Cheers,
Mike
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Ya, tilanus is a better expert at windows than I am. I only know how to emulate windows on mac with wine for the most part but nothing beyond that.
mike0liver
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Windows 8 & 10 compatibility

Perseverance has paid off. I thought back to the time when I had a not dissimilar problem with another software suite and recalled that an add-on I bought reported that the main programme was not on my computer (when I knew it was). I had to re-install the add-on but put it into the root directory for the main product.

When I did that with NE, everything worked fine. So, anyone who's having this problem, uninstall NE 2.1.7b and re-install it to the AoE 3 folder where the .dll files are already located. That did it form me.

Thanks to Clinton and Tilanus for keeping me sane while I worked it out. Now I can try a game or two and see where I might need to check out the forum for any issues that arise.

Cheers,
Mike
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Glad that I could help. In the future however, I finally found a guide that explains how to get mac osx on a windows pc using a distro of mac osx.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-install-OS-X-Mountain-Lion-on-your-PC-with-/

Hope this helps if your ne installation doesn't work in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Technical Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1