NE site reboot 2017

Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your thought regarding a new NE site?
I don't care about websites, new releases are more important!
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
This forum is too old, better merge with a modern forum
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
NE doesn't need a website, FB and ModDB will do the job
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Keep this forum open until a new website is ready to launch
53%
 53%  [ 8 ]
Lock this site and focus on new releases and a better website
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: NE site reboot 2017

Welcome everyone! This is just a short message informing you that this site has been relaunched recently after a wasted year of developing a new NE site. Read the full story here.

Oh god, this site is old, but feels good to be back online! Devil

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Fenriz94
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject:

Welcome back!
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject:

It's at least nice to see that these forums are still alive! Having an outdated site is at least better than none at all, of course. Best wishes on future development. Smile
Zooasaurus
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject:

Boy this feels nostalgic
In the meantime, could you do a mod report? Of the magic phrase allows it lol
The Navigator Prince
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

It's great this site is available again!

"We want to thank the Gods of Football for this happiness, which fills our soul, that makes a country stop, a country hearttouched... It's Porto's goal!"

-Deco's goal report | UEFA Champions League Final - FC Porto:3 vs 0:AS Monaco FC; May 26, 2004; Arena AufSchalke, Gelsenkirchen

FC Porto's official site: www.FCPorto.pt/en
The last Austriahungarian
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject:

Yay, now I can read my old comments and disc....lol. I was such a noob back them lol (seriously tough, I am really sorry for my old comments and threads, they seen tool like even tough I wasn't suppose to). My new comments won't be so stupid I promise Mr. Green

Taking that aside, Its good to have the site back! And I am sorry for your misfortunes Sad

Also, heya navigator! We need more Portugal flavor don't we?? XD
HE MUST EXEMPLIFY THE EXTREME OF ALL THINGS, GOOD AND EVIL!
THAT IS WHY HIS RETAINERS ENVY AND ADORE HIM, AND WHY THE FLAMES OF ASPIRATION, TO BE AS THE KING IS, CAN BURN WITHIN
HIS PEOPLE!

I SHALL GRIEVE AND I SHALL WEEP, BUT I SHALL NEVER REGRET!
-Iskandar, king of conquerors.
The Navigator Prince
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I was such a noob back then

That was exactly what I thought when I saw my own old comments lol

Just 2 sentences:
Quote:
My new comments won't be so stupid I promise

Quote:
We need more Portugal flavor don't we?

TRIGGERED Topmodel

"We want to thank the Gods of Football for this happiness, which fills our soul, that makes a country stop, a country hearttouched... It's Porto's goal!"

-Deco's goal report | UEFA Champions League Final - FC Porto:3 vs 0:AS Monaco FC; May 26, 2004; Arena AufSchalke, Gelsenkirchen

FC Porto's official site: www.FCPorto.pt/en
King of Persia
Fusilier
Fusilier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Meanwhile we're waiting for a new forum, we should also start praying that AoE3:DE will be moddable Rolling Eyes Topmodel
Crazy Crusher
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

I had no idea what happened to the site when it went down and thought that the whole project was secretly abandoned. Sad
Persian_Fusilier
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Crazy Crusher wrote:
I had no idea what happened to the site when it went down and thought that the whole project was secretly abandoned. Sad

Dont worry, next release is still in development....

Beautiful Mind is the Mind that there is not hurting the other's mind in it. Cyrus the Great
Makedonia
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Next time there's a new website, put the Url in the "This website is not available" screen Mr. Green .
Da Bozz
NE Veteran
NE Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject:

A bit late, but some clarifications to Tilanus' lies:

Quote:
the two hosts (not really involved in NE)

I am one of the two hosts. Not really involved in NE? I'm actually involved since 2011.

Quote:
they did an excellent job on a technical level at porting and upgrading

Thanks, this was a lot of work and took us more than a week of constant research, scripting, etc., because of all the old and broken stuff this forum is using. It's a miracle the site hasn't been hacked with such outdated software.

Quote:
the hosts' hospitality soon turned into paternalism despising and overwriting my work (idealizing theirs)

We were not willing to let the new Napoleonic Era website become a design monstrosity like Peter's drafts looked. The code he made was completely messed up, built on a framework that would have blocked us from using the latest, secure phpBB software.
So we tried to help and even bought a design framework with our own money to make designing easier (we also paid for the domain and the website hosting, and we did it gladly). We are both students and do not earn very much money, but we thought helping out this project would be worth it. I do not want to be thanked for spending money on Napoleonic Era, I just wanted to show how serious we took this project.
We worked some days and nights to create a usable prototype, to which Tilanus responded with: "Revert to old design" without further comment. If you have worked voluntarily for something, just for the cause, you may understand how infuriating this felt.

[quote]ultimately questioning a decade of my proven experience in designing and leading NE and other projects. Eventually they were fed up with me not wanting them decide the look of my project. They called me ungrateful and arrogant, because things didn't go their way.[/qoute]

Tilanus couldn't understand the argument that his design draft was neither usable nor updateable - although our intention was to make the forum and website secure and modern. We think that accepting constructive feedback is an absolute necessity in projects like Napoleonic Era which ultimately only work if a good team works together. Tilanus is not able to accept any feedback, which led to the breakup, initiated by me.

Quote:
because that whole adventure cost the site like a year of downtime - all for nothing

Sorry, this is only your fault. We worked very hard and had it nearly finished.

Quote:
Not only did they block me like enraged children

Nobody blocked anyone. I just removed Tilanus from my friendlists, as he clearly was no friend to me anymore after insulting our hard work.

Quote:
they also refused to give me the updated forum data

We worked countless hours in our free time to update the forum database and fixing all problems. Would anyone here be willing to give away this hard work to such an egomaniac?

Quote:
destroyed by some childish pride that was incapable of accepting someone else than them taking direction

I also want to address this to you, Tilanus. Why didn't you let the guys with the knowledge just do their work? We would have been happy if you told us what to improve, instead of only commenting with "Revert, revert!".

Unfortunately all sites are shut down, otherwise I could have showed you our progress.

I am very sorry for you, the NE community, that we couldn't finish this project.
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Da Bozz wrote:
A bit late, but some clarifications to Tilanus' lies:

So you came all the way to throw with mud after me? I guess that says a lot more about you than me. I actually thought that since our last exchange of words we could just let the anger die off (which worked for me).

Quote:
I am one of the two hosts. Not really involved in NE? I'm actually involved since 2011.

No, you were not. I don't consider web services to be in the core field of modding. Don't get me wrong, you were and are very knowledgeable and helpful at these, but it's still nowhere close to the work of actual modders like kangcliff, Yomgui, PredatoR and so on who had an actual impact on the mod itself. So you were somewhat involved in NE, but not really, no.

Quote:
Quote:
the hosts' hospitality soon turned into paternalism despising and overwriting my work (idealizing theirs)

We were not willing to let the new Napoleonic Era website become a design monstrosity like Peter's drafts looked. The code he made was completely messed up, built on a framework that would have blocked us from using the latest, secure phpBB software.

Lel, design monstrosity, seriously? Your complaint always was that my WordPress design lacks visual and technical features. The actual monstrosity was the control panel of your premium framework that I never wanted or asked for, but that you guys forced upon me. Everyone could see how my "monstrous" website would've looked like on facebook, same content with a new stylesheet, very simple.

Quote:
So we tried to help and even bought a design framework with our own money to make designing easier (we also paid for the domain and the website hosting, and we did it gladly). We are both students and do not earn very much money, but we thought helping out this project would be worth it. I do not want to be thanked for spending money on Napoleonic Era, I just wanted to show how serious we took this project.

Yet you mention it. Why? To make people feel pity for the work you did and the money you spent, but that no one actually asked for?

It really is more an indicator of your personal ambitions to create something that you would like. I was already perfectly happy with the old design, and that didn't interest or matter to you. The website's look was never supposed to be your business, but you made it yours by abusing your power as hosts.

Free forum upgrade, port, domain, webspace, these were all generous gestures you offered me without asking for something in return and I was very happy about that. You offered the infrastructure and I felt responsible for the content. That's how I understood the deal.
I always accepted your authority as hosts and respected your skills as web developers, but my authority as a project leader has always been a thorn in your side whenever you started developing own interests and ambitions which you wanted to pursue against my will. Here's where the deal fell through.

Quote:
We worked some days and nights to create a usable prototype, to which Tilanus responded with: "Revert to old design" without further comment. If you have worked voluntarily for something, just for the cause, you may understand how infuriating this felt.
[...]
I also want to address this to you, Tilanus. Why didn't you let the guys with the knowledge just do their work? We would have been happy if you told us what to improve, instead of only commenting with "Revert, revert!".

First of all, you started working on something huge without even caring about my opinion or asking me about the visual target. If I was ever anywhere close to being a customer or project leader to you, then that wasn't a smart thing to start with, was it? So of course it was a disaster for you, when I didn't quite agree with what you guys - and only you - had in mind.
"Without further comment", lol! All other people who worked with me can confirm I always provide detailed reasons when I reject something or ask for changes. I gave feedback, but I got the feeling you didn't really care much or just didn't want to hear it. If you were already happy with your own work, you only expected me to be your yes-man. Professionals know that most first results are never the final one, not out of principle, but because that's how design refining processes work with multiple people involved. So unlike you'll say, you don't work like professionals. You can't take feedback, because you are too attached to your own work and mistake feedback as an "insult" to your efforts and hard work (which it is not).

Quote:
Quote:
ultimately questioning a decade of my proven experience in designing and leading NE and other projects. Eventually they were fed up with me not wanting them decide the look of my project. They called me ungrateful and arrogant, because things didn't go their way.
Tilanus couldn't understand the argument that his design draft was neither usable nor updateable - although our intention was to make the forum and website secure and modern. We think that accepting constructive feedback is an absolute necessity in projects like Napoleonic Era which ultimately only work if a good team works together. Tilanus is not able to accept any feedback, which led to the breakup, initiated by me.

Which project leader wants to work with people who question his abilities all the time? None.

You neither liked my terrible, 'unusable' code nor my 'old-fashioned' designs (that's as constructive as your feedback got), but ofc your themes, changes and ideas were perfectly spot on. And that simply was a conflict of interests which is unresolvable without hierarchies, which then again makes it a perfect example for why also volunteer projects require and very often have project leaders. You guys didn't want hierarchies and also acted like they didn't exist, but NE always had project leaders. The idea that two web guys could just flip the decision-making of a more than 12 years old project is daringly naive.

Quote:
Quote:
because that whole adventure cost the site like a year of downtime - all for nothing

Sorry, this is only your fault. We worked very hard and had it nearly finished.

That's probably the most comfortable lie you tell yourself. You know, it always takes two players for a breakup, right? I shouldn't have listened to you when you told me to turn off the site, but rather trust my instincts not to rely too much on a single party. My fault was to let two people take the NE site hostage, who thought they can do everything with my project's site whatever they want, because it is their server.

Quote:
Nobody blocked anyone. I just removed Tilanus from my friendlists, as he clearly was no friend to me anymore after insulting our hard work.

Whatever it was, it was childish. Arranging the simultaneous leaving of a chat room, removing someone from a friendlist and destroying done work in an act of frustration, that's the helpless behavior known from enraged teenagers, not young mature professionals that you deem yourself to be.

Quote:
Quote:
they also refused to give me the updated forum data

We worked countless hours in our free time to update the forum database and fixing all problems. Does anyone here would be willing to give away this hard work to such an egomaniac?

Here it shows how much your talking about a service to the NE community is a farce, because right here you had the chance to do that. A single person like me is enough to withheld all your work from the community? Bullshit.

The credit and community's gratitude for the new site would've always been yours, regardless of whether you like me or not. You simply had different plans for the site and I didn't let this happen. That is what infuriated you and I guess is what brought you here. Blow off some steam.

Also, all this talking about countless hours and hard work looks really cute compared to the time that went into NE (the actual project, not some website). You make it look like you went through massive suffering and pain. I wonder what all the other real modders should say then? I mean seriously, they achieved so much more. Even with an 'egomaniac' like me being the project leader.

Quote:
Unfortunately all sites are shut down, otherwise I could have showed you our progress.

The site was looking promising, that's why I was so surprised when you shut down all communication.
You're trying so hard to make it look like it all was my fault and that you simply had no choice but to end everything within the glimpse of a second. I don't know who would believe a one-sided story like yours that is full of blame and entirely lacks moderation and self-criticism. Tilanus is the bad guy in your story, aye, we all get it.

Quote:
I am very sorry for you, the NE community, that we couldn't finish this project.

No, all you feel sorry for is all the work no one will see now, because you threw it away. Don't forget, it was you guys who pulled the trigger. I wanted to see this project finished at all times and I believed in it, but you deliberately put an end to it. So please don't pretend you had no choice! You always had a choice, but a website on your server with a design plan so different to yours simply wasn't tolerable for you guys.

If this project was for you ever truly about NE and its community you would have actually cared about the thoughts and plans of the person who played a major role in the creation of NE and its community for more than 7 years (!). You would've acknowledged that this is the person who has the insight and every right to decide the look & feel of his project's website. Instead two self-made web experts who never wrote a single line of code for NE, never designed a single graphic or any concept work or had to fight for the survival of the project against all odds dare to assume control. And if you think that's no problem just because it's your server, you're very naive and full of hubris.

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
caveman909
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Sad times for the mod it seems Sad

I'm just asking myself: is the story about the website still relevant now?
Let's be happy there's a place for the mod again and bury the hatchet?
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject:

No, the story is not relevant at all. What's been has been. We'll work with what we have. Smile
Crazy Crusher
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Sad times, indeed. You may think that I am new to this site, but I have been following this site since about 2010.
Page 1 of 1