New Counter-System
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 56

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Features

Since longer time the Modding Project The Ancient Age is in development. We aim at implementing 5 antique cultures with the AoE3 Engine and Structure. These are: Carthaginians, Celts (Gauls), Hellenes (aka Greeks), Persians and Romans. Our first release will be an Alpha-Version that contains playable Romans and Hellenes.

1. The Cultures
  2. Gameplay Features
  3. Units Overview
  4. Buildings Overview

The Cultures

As already mentioned above there will be 5 ancient cultures. However, we set until now the main focus more on the Alpha Cultures, which are Romans and Hellenes. Although there is already a work-out for the other cultures, we will update the outstanding content when we discussed them more detailed.

»Romans«

Bonus:
Cheaper fortifications, 1 Hastatus/Barrack
Archaic Unit: Spearman 'Voluntarius'
Campaign: Legio VI Ferrata
Strengths:
• Infantry & Siege equipment and versatility
• Good Commanders
Weaknesses:
• Expensive Cavalry, Mercenaries & Archer Support

»Hellenes«

Bonus:
Free Villagers & Scholars after Age Up
Archaic Unit: Slinger 'Sphendonetes'
Campaign: Macedonians
Strengths:
• Balanced Army
• Economy & Technology
Weaknesses:
• Slow Core Army
• Average Military Improvements

Gameplay Features

Since The Ancient Age will is a total-conversion modification we need to confirm that description of course. Therefore TAA has some features that you're in principle most probably familiar with, but never has been seen or used in this way we changed it.

Arrow Redesigned User Interface
We think that Ensemble Studios made a good job with their User Interface, however, it's not perfect, and of course we won't use any UI design from Vanilla, TWC or TAD. No guys, we mix it up with metallic ornaments, wooden beams, a stone wall and papyrus! Stay tuned to see the new UI in Ancient Style. Cool

Arrow Age I - Get ready for battle!
Yeah, you got me right. The first battles can already start in the first Age!
Each Culture will have 1 or 2 archaic units with different boni who will help either you getting treasures or raiding in the hostile base. However, there'll be just a pleasure in the first age since they are just light units, simple men.

Arrow Wall & Tower Boost
Do you remember the high and solid walls of Troy? Might it not have been hard climbing or razing them? Did you always think that ES did a bad job when they gave walls and towers too less hitpoints? Well, not with us. Walls and towers will get improved in TAA, but will cost more of course and play a more important role than before.

Arrow Aristotle, Socrates, Archimedes?
There will be four different types of Scholars: Priest, Merchant, Architect and Philosopher. These will support you putting up and cementing your little empire. However, only the Hellenes will have access to all scholars. It depends on the culture which scholars you can train.
The most common scholar will be the Priest, the Philosopher will probably the rarest scholar and the Merchant more often than the Architect.

Arrow Spamming units is no fun?
To avoid the historical unrealistic spamming of units such as artillery or mercenaries, we changed the state of priority of these units. Changing the priorities means changing build limit, pop and/or costs. There will be technologies that loosen these limits. We call that feature Unit Priority Protection.

Arrow Women are the better cookers, but you have woodcutter arms?
Well, we all know these senseless and superflous conversations and discussions about sexual discrimination. Everyone wants equality, but actually a large part of a sex is still specialized. It's a kink of our time, luckily the people in ancient times were more tolerant in this aspect. They appreciated and honored the differences! We will follow this example. Wink

Arrow Gimme all your money!
You wanna be rich? Yeah? And agonize your people with Taxes? Man, you lucky asshole, we give you the chance to do it! Mr. Green
A gold tickle will be calculated from the number of all citizens and scholars (Exception: Slaves), but since no one likes paying taxes, there has to be a contra, hasn't it?
All units will have reduced damage, except Hero Units, who are privileged units, they don't pay any taxes and are not affected by the nerf due to taxes. However, we haven't tested this system yet, but we will check all possibilities to realize it. Wink

Arrow Pack your stuff and go!
If you always hated defending an unused base, why didn't you just pack and move it? Instead of revolting you will start a campaign with stronger and more versatile soldiers that take over almost every job of buildings and civil population. However, buildings will cost more and the produce of your workers will just last for a while to feed your soldiers.

Arrow Fair Ages
Do you think that fast aging is just for players who can't deal with critical situations? Do you feel treated unfairly?
Well, the Ages in TAA will be longer than in the original game. This will avoid "Fast Aging" (Fast Fortress, Fast Industrial etc.) and further intended skipping of weak ages. Every culture will have weak and strong ages, so it is the challenge for players to deal with their disadvantages (and of course their advantages) longer than before. Aging up will take longer.

Arrow New Counter-System
Even if Ensemble Studios released a lot of good patches the game was still strange in some aspects in view of realism. We will try to develop an easy and transparent counter-system like in Age of Empires 2.

Does this mod actually have any weak points?
Yes, of course. Age Of Empires III is most probably the most unsuitable game of the "Age Of"-series in view of modding. Our possibilities are limited, e.g. we can't create new models or animations or there are things that are just impossible because the game code forbids it. This means: No catapults, no chariots, no factories (historical reason). However, we're gonna deal with it as best and creative as we can. Wink

Units Overview

The Ancient Age takes use oft the Age of Empires III engine and structure, but concerning units TAA is almost completely different.

Ancient Warware was brutal hand-to-hand combat. Armament and physical strength and skill was decisive for every man who had to fight. We are willed to offer a bigger bandwith of unit improvements than Age of Empires III.
These men will frighten, these men will kill, these men will not go down after some bloody hits! Devil

Our Balancer is working on a new counter-sytem, trying to avoid confusion and to let shine in more realism. Since it's not finished yet I won't spend any superflous word on it anymore. If he finds the time, he'll probably tell you some details.

When someone's talking about units there's also the question of the status of realism. We spend a lot of time on research and have some members with very useful background knowledge concerning every aspect of a culture. We'll use native names, but always give an english explanation too. This is not a realism simulation, but still a game. We won't choose the hardest words to shock you and ruin probably the game.

Compared to the original Age Of Empires and most of its mods we don't have many standard units which all civilisations share in the relation 1:1. Nevertheless you'll of course recognize clear lines of standards such as Melee Infantry, Ranged Infantry, Light Cavalry and so on ...

You can expect a lot of Tactical Units in siege combat, economy and Battlefield Support. Since AoE3 has a lack of models for ancient siege engines, there'll be Human Siege Units (HSU) such as Diggers and Manuballistae. Scholars are civil units that do not completely replace factories, but supplement special areas of economy. You can train them in the Academy, the Market and the Temple. At the moment there are 4 different types of scholars. Either they're studying Philosophy or Architecture, go out trading or are practicing their religion (Priests are also scholars). Not every scholar is available for each nation though.

Since Age Of Empires III had no drummers, officers or flag carriers, TAA will have a lot of different Battlefield Supporters. From the creepy and sneaky assassin to the glorious general. However, their use will be limited, either due to a strict build limit, expensive costs, high pop or a long training time.

There'll be of course Mercenaries: 3-civ-related, several map-related. They'll be available in the Fortress. The civ-related Mercenaries contain two types: Special and Guard. The Special Unit has upgrades, the Guard counters other Mercs. Guard and Special Unit can be the same.
Some mercenaries will only be available via HC or techs.

What happened to the real basic units like Villagers? Still there of course, but they turned their faces away from Age Of Empires 3. They're sick of getting abused. Sick of stupid unit spamming, we'll try to make economy more attractive and pay more attention to these industriously columns of economy.

In many strategy games you see them mostly as the weakest units, that's just wrong. Sure, they're not made for the battlefield, but the true power lies in the civil population. Riots, revolts, political murders! All that has its origins by simple workers. Especially in the first two ages will the civil population play also an important military role.
Since we are proloning the ages, we are also increasing the possibilities. Slaves will be in, you buy them at the market.

Every civ will have access to at least one Archaic Unit. They are the Minutemen replacement and available in the Town Center, having small boni against Treasure Guards and standard units, mostly equipped with slings and spears. There are two types of archaic units, Type 1 is also available in further ages and can have an upgrade while Type 2 is only available in Age I, but stronger than Type 1.

Buildings Overview

The Economic Buildings are not really affected by new changes, but their priority will be different for each civ. So Greeks may be better Shepherds than Romans for example. This simply means, the economy structure won't be this unitary as it is in the basic game. But of course, there has to be at least anything that is unitary and that may be the Market, which is not only supposed to exchange resources and develop Economic Technologies, but also to buy Slaves.

The Military Buildings however, are affected by more changes. You will of course recognize similarities to the basic system of anterior Age Of Empires Games. There's the Blacksmith (Arsenal Replacement) which improves and equips your troops with solid armaments, shields and weapons.

The Barrack trains Melee Infantry and also one unit of each allied native (Embassy kicked). Archery Range and Stable are self-explaining, even if not every ranged units needs to be trained in the Archery Range. The Siege Armory will probably train besides Mechanical Siege Units also Human Siege Units.

Towers & Walls will play are more important role than before. Now they'll be really this, what they were supposed to be - firm. Of course the price is higher, the build time longer, but it'll be remunerative for the player's base. Towers might also be able to train archaic units.

The next class of buildings will be the most modified one. Besides being buildings for technologies, they are mixed with military and economic buildings too (Mixed Buildings). However, there are of course still buildings you're familiar with. Houses, the Town Center or the Harbour will in most cases really do what you expect them to do. If you read attentively, you may have noticed that there are still buildings missing.

Of course, Church, Capitol and Saloon replacements were not mentioned yet, because that will happen now: Of course the Temple is the Church replacement, it still trains religious units and also still contains religious technologies, but furthermore it contains a feature that you know from the Native Major Civs - the Fire Pit or Dancing Feature. We call it praying. Depending on which god you're asking for favour, you'll gain different boni. Allowed to pray are only villagers. We planned to make this available to much more units than in the basic game, but technically this is not possible. The Fortress is an advanced Saloon, besides hiring Mercenaries, it also trains Tactical Units and serves as very strong defensive fortification. It has a build limit. The Academy is the Capitol replacement, but also this building is modified. Besides the normal Capitol techs it'll most probably also contain other unique and elitary techs as 'Church Techs' and furthermore allow the education of Scholars.

The TAA Team Mr. Green

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
alvaro_qc
Fusilier
Fusilier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject:

Wow, you really are changing AoE3, the features are interesting, I specially like the tax system, lets hope it works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ESO
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject:

Wow, that's a lot of features... But I like them all

peugeot407

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject:

That's good to hear and nice to see you. Wink

Mowen Man
Fusilier
Fusilier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Wow, I didn't think all this stuff could be changed in AOE3. Good luck!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯  ¯¯¯
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Just a site note concerning the Gender System and Slaves. Not every civ will have females and males, this will either happen two maximum 2, 1 or probably no civ at all since Slaves and Citizens will be different enough. So we reduced the basic economic units from 3 to 2 to simplify the economic system for everyone. There's just a discussion in intern forums about it and we discussed different aspects of it, but I'm sure we will give it the pre-final touch in the next days. Wink

stuffedXcucambor
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: forts

why not do castles instead of forts?
so...? i'l get to lvl 125, of course!
masskiller
Tsar
Tsar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject:

castles would be a fort with a different name and they would have to create a new model, which is hard
stuffedXcucambor
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: forts- castles

yeah but cant they change like from cannon balls to arrows and the look of it no? and delete the bombard dammage...
masskiller
Tsar
Tsar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject:

they may not be able to, i don`t know a lot about it, but new model making is hard according to what has been said to me and others in previous times
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Currently modelling is impossible for AoE3, so we can just use what is there. Forts have cannon modells, we can exchange the projectiles of course, but you still see cannons of the fort. Wink

stuffedXcucambor
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: castles

too bad :/
castles would be awesome
RussianMobster
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Looks promising! ty for spending ur time on making this for us Razz
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject:

At that age the romans call their empire as "English: Holy Roman Empire(HRE), German:Heiliges Römisches Reich (HRR), Latin: Sacrum Romanum Imperium (SRI)"(962 – 1806)
Ca Putt
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Rolling Eyes the mod moves the game back in time as the name suggests, "the ancient age". this is not NE
peterkc167
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Oh i see.How about Vikings it would be great if u add it Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Age Of Empires III: The Ancient Age All times are GMT
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12