Off2
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 504, 505, 506, 507  Next

Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Well, generally, I'm pro-conscription. It's what this country needs to get its defensive forces back on feet... That, and money. Lots of it. I've yet to fill out any forms, though.

Of course it would be a different question if we were attacked. If that was the case, I probably would. Then again, we wouldn't stand a chance for long without guerilla warfare. Neutral

Yes - but I had an asthma attack or something of the kind back then. I still don't know what caused it though, I've never had anything similar before or since.

The Älvsjö fair is a pretty horrible place, to be honest. Expensive, worthless food, way too small, and everyone is just trying to get you to buy stuff (or be their product ^^).
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Well, generally, I'm pro-conscription. It's what this country needs to get its defensive forces back on feet... That, and money. Lots of it. I've yet to fill out any forms, though.
I think I feel the same way; at the same time it obviously isn't fun being forced to do something that you don't want to do. But I think it is a benefit not only from the perspective of defensive capability, but also an aid to create societal communion and help people grow up a bit.

And indeed, German mercenaries *cough* I mean money is the mean to all ends.

Quote:
Then again, we wouldn't stand a chance for long without guerilla warfare.
Fortunately our defences were always focused on such strategies, along with some massive forts. Of course most of the infrastructure no longer exists though Rolling Eyes They've poured cement into an awful lot of holes in the ground. Because hey, why would we never need to defend ourselves again? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Yes - but I had an asthma attack or something of the kind back then. I still don't know what caused it though, I've never had anything similar before or since.

The Älvsjö fair is a pretty horrible place, to be honest. Expensive, worthless food, way too small, and everyone is just trying to get you to buy stuff (or be their product ^^).
Perhaps you were allergic to the horrible environment then ^^ Anyway - I'm glad you survived lol

Allthough I have to say they've spruced it up quite nicely since I last visited. The lobby is all white and glass now. Very modern. I agree that it's not a nice environment, but small? That's not a word I would use. It's still the largest one in Scandinavia.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject:

So, the European Parliament has passed a resolution which essentially, among some other things, suggest that they want to see Google broken up.

Of course it'll never come to pass, but anyway. That's pretty big. Spontaneous reactions, anyone?

Wojtek
Totenkopfhusar
Totenkopfhusar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject:

February?
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject:

Is that so bad? I've not taken the stars in the windows down. It's still pretty dark the hours of the day I'm not in school, and they glow so nicely lol

So that's what a Polish university classroom looks like? Or is it just a small lecture hall?

For some reason we always have classes in one of three cramped, worn out classrooms. Last week a table broke when the teacher sat down on it. It's especially strange since we have an entire building of fresh, large and modern classrooms which more or less aren't used.

Wojtek
Totenkopfhusar
Totenkopfhusar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Actually it's a high school chemistry classroom. I had one hour break from teaching and decided to find a free classroom to prepare the next lesson and check the tests instead of sitting in the teachers' lounge.

Last week
http://files.tinypic.pl/i/00633/ycfh2b7ovk09.jpg

This week: No Christmas tree! Crying or Very sad
http://files.tinypic.pl/i/00633/wm3fr2ifwear.jpg

During a two-week teaching practice, which I finished today, I has classes in a tiny classroom where students didn't have any desks but only conference chairs with small trays fixed to the chairs. Fortunately, I had a desk lol
http://files.tinypic.pl/i/00633/b26mxvug91um.jpg

http://files.tinypic.pl/i/00633/jki3gpi3h2sc.jpg
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject:

What's it you're teaching? Polish and Russian? How have you fared so far?

I don't think we had any Christmas decorations at all at university, come to think of it. Apparently the institution is a few millions short in their budget, so maybe it was a cost saving measure lol

I remember though in first through third grade, boy did we have Christmas decorations. Our teacher brought a portable oven and made gingerbread houses with us after hours. She divided the class into three groups; the first one got to make the dough and bake parts, the second got to puzzle it together with melted sugar, and the third was the decoration team. All of us made candle holders out of clay, which we painted, and we made our own candles from scratch as well.

She was an amazing and ambitious teacher. We were lucky.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject:

I don't even have a Google+ profile, but apparently this page has been shown 28 762 times.
Spoiler:

What the page is for and why it even exists I don't really know. Less do I know who has visited and why. And how can I have a follower if I don't even have a profile? Confused

Wojtek
Totenkopfhusar
Totenkopfhusar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject:

I've seen something like that for the first time in my life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPW3rxAtpKw
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject:

You've never seen the effects of strong wind before? Confused

Here's a story from the life of SAOL: Today, I went to the bathroom. When I tried to get out of the bathroom, the door handle came off. I tried to put it back, but managed to push the piston out instead. So, I was completely locked in.

I had to bang on the door to get someone to let me out. Fortunately I wasn't home alone lol

Was anyone the target of some ruse on 1st of April? Or the other way around Devil

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Ok, Orwell. you asked about my username, as I did yours before. I believe I've told the tale years before, but I suppose there is little damage in telling it again.

It first came about more than a decade ago. My best friend had recently got an X-box, and he invited me home to play one afternoon. Halo 2 had been released, and it was the game we were going to play in co-operation mode that day. To be able to do that I had to set up a profile.

That was something I'd never done before, for anything. No game for the PS1 I had required such a thing. This of course meant at least 10 minutes of terrible indecision. Together, we tried to find a username that should somewhat reflect my personality.

Finally, we came up with SAOL. One user on this forum that you've never seen jokingly said it probably stood for Sad, Angry, Old Loner. What it actually stands for is Svenska Akademiens Ordlista (över det svenska språket).

Spoiler:

In English it means the Glossary (of the Swedish language) of the Swedish Academy. It is the reference for spelling in Swedish. That, in itself, is a bit ironic since I've never actually been good at spelling. I do perhaps share some other qualities with it though Topmodel

That name stuck with me ever since, because I'm a creature of habit. That's why I've never changed avatar eith and use the same one everywhere. My avatar has another special, hidden, quality to it, of course. And I quite like it.

The motto of the Swedish Academy is what you can see at the bottom of my signature. Snille och smak. In English: Talent and Taste.

Devil

Orwell
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject:

I apologize for not having read this before. That truly is a unique way to come up with a name and the fact that it stuck with you for so long is truly amazing. Also I wanted to ask, What, if any, mod do you currently have on AOEIII?
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject:

I don't believe it is unique. Lots of people have a story, and lots of people stick with their name consistently. It's a practical thing to do.

Frustratingly though mine is so common or obvious that it's often taken, so I have a backup (for stuff I hardly ever use) which is never taken. Avatar always comes with me, though.

Coincidentally, today was also the day when I changed my desktop background for the first time in four years or something. lol

For your other question; KnB.

Orwell
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject:

Do you know if KnB is still being developed, I know it is still technically being worked on but there has been a lull in updates and Friday Showcases
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject:

I've not heard otherwise, but I'm a generally ignorant person.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject:

I have to share my fortune.

I hadn't planned on buying any console (PS4 or Xbox One) this generation.

By chance I happened to read that Game, the retailer, in Sweden had gone into bankruptcy. As a result they held a sale of 70% on everything in the store. That was an opportunity too good to pass on, I thought.

If I were to buy a console, I'd planned on getting a Play Station as I've always had them and preferred them. I in particular remember an old discussion on the forums about the controllers. They were sadly out of stock, so it had to be an Xbox instead. Still, I was quite pleased to get the console, one extra controller, three games and a year of Gold for about 2000 sek (€ 215, $240). Mr. Green

Anyway, if someone else has an Xbox (because I hardly know anyone), you can add me on Xbox Live. I'm Palsternacksmos, because some other f****r stole SAOL. Razz

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 504, 505, 506, 507  Next
Page 505 of 507