Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 505, 506, 507

Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Yes, it is.

I do wonder when you will just give up and join in with the superior system rest of the world uses. You're a stubborn lot. Perhaps it will take another 100 years.

Also, your paper scale. I mean, what is up with that? crazy

Orwell
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject:

America really does need to make the swap...

But isn't Sweden one of the few EU countries not to use Euros, or has that changed?
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject:

Well, there are 9 EU countries that don't use the Euro. Only Great Britain and Denmark have the right to remain outside of the Eurozone. The other countries must join the Euro as soon as the so called convergence criteria are met.

We fail to meet those criteria on purpose, so that we don't have to join. I don't think anyone is regretting that decision at the moment. Unlike the metric system, the Euro is not an unequivocal success. It's more of a mess. Rolling Eyes

I actually doubt it will survive in its current form.

Orwell
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject:

Wait, how did Denmark get out of using the Euro? I know Great Britian debated it was an island (?) or what ever...

Also what do you think of the euro?
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject:

Basically Denmark initially voted no to the Maastricht treaty. To get them to vote yes, some concessions were made. That they wouldn't be forced to join the EMU was one, another that they don't have to participate in the harmonisation of certain policies.

Simply put, they placed themselves in a good negotiating position. It's the same for the UK, really. That they're an island isn't that much of a merit at all. I mean, they think so, but no one else does.

I was too young to fully comprehend when the euro-discussion first was discussed in Sweden. We had a public referendum in 2003, in which we voted no (and so kept exploiting the loophole, purposely not fulfilling the requirements).

Ever since I was old enough to understand it though, I've never liked it. Not in it's current form at least. It's a EU politician's wet dream, but ultimately it will bring trouble for most of the member state. Some, like Germany, will and have of course seen benefit, but at the expense of economic stagnation in other countries and a drop in popularity.

The economical, cultural and linguistic differences in the EU are too big for it to make sense with a single currency. Sooner or later, I think we are going to see a reform of the EMU in that direction.

Orwell
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Interesting...

Do you have an ideal solution in mind?
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject:

No. Currently it seems all possible solutions are different kinds of bad. In short, the first mistake was to create the EMU; at least in the way it was made.

Still, while undoing or massively reforming the EMU might be very difficult, I do think it must be part of the solution, simply because reforming the EU - or rather Europe - to become a zone in which it makes sense to have a single currency is even more difficult. Moreover, people don't want that. The Finns don't feel very Greek and vice versa, if you catch the drift.

Interestingly the Finnish economy, which was initially doing well when the crisis started is now in bad shape. There was a general strike in Finland today over upcoming cuts of all sorts. The government has pointed out however, that they were quick to remind Greece and co. About the virtues of austerity. Now, when it's their turn they'll have to take the same medicine they prescribed to the others, and muster up some sisu.

Do you have a solution. Because if you do, you can get rich lol It'd be worth a hefty reward.

The ironic part is of course that it won't help much. The Euro will not lose much value (and help drive export sales) because of Finland for as long as Germany has its head above the surface, something which is aided by the fact that the crisis in other countries drives down the interest rates for Germany.

Orwell
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject:

I have no solution in mind, no.
On a less somber topic, what do you think of the upcoming AoE II DLC
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:

What? A new new one? That's passed me by entirely:? What's it about?

I did hear about a new expansion for Age of Mythology though. I never played AoM much, I don't even own it, so can't say I care a great deal about that.

Supernatural things are just so... supernatural, you know lol Rolling Eyes

Orwell
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject:

Yes the African Kingdoms DLC, you may search it up if you so wish...

So what do you think of it and the new AoM one?
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Well, see the relevant thread Razz

In the meantime, I thought I'd share a story. A story of an old lady and her hearing aid.

I was at a concert yesterday (a modern piece, Mozart's bassoon concerto and Rimsky-Korsakovs scheherazade). The mean age at these events is usually quite high. You'd think that the old people would be good at keeping quiet, but... they're sometimes not. Three weeks ago there was, seated close to me, three close-to-ancient ladies who didn't turn of their mobile phones. So they rang and beeped, several times. Rolling Eyes As if they were some sort of teenagers.

Yesterday an old lady a few seats away from me had, as I hinted on, a hearing aid. And it shrieked, all the time. Loud - not so that everyone in the room would've heard, but clearly enough to be disturbing where I sat.

She, however, didn't seem to notice the slightest lol

Also, did anyone see the moon phenomenon? I went up really early to do so, but of course it was clouded over Sad

Orwell
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject:

It was clouded over for me as well Sad

And while the hearing aid anecdote is quite funny, I feel as though this thread ought be used to discuss the discovery of water on Mars, what is your opinion?
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject:

The sad bit is that it was visible in almost all of Sweden - apart from here. Rolling Eyes

Water on Mars... is not really news. They've found plenty of water in the form of ice before. I mean, it's great and fascinating that they've found water in a different form (brine and hydrated salts), of course, but it's not a huge surprise. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

The interesting bit is of course whether or not this new environment can support life. The confirmation of extra terrestrial life would absolutely be an important marker in the history of humanity. And given the extremely hostile environments extremophiles can survive in on Earth... We are closer than ever.

We should absolutely go have a look! Mr. Green

Also, it would be fun to see the reactions of religious fundamentalists if life on another astronomic body were to be found. I'm carefully optimistic I'll live long enough to see that day, if there is or has been life elsewhere in out own solar system. Otherwise we're likely to remain forever alone.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 505, 506, 507
Page 507 of 507