New clothes

Forum Index -> Website feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: New clothes

So, I'm away for two weeks and we have some new dressing, I see. You may remember I bitched a bit last time such a substantial change came about.

In my role as a community constant I feel obliged to do it again Wink

I saw in the shoutbox, Peter, that you said the background still needed some work. Indeed, because this is what it looks like to me now.
Spoiler:

I don't know if you're aware of this or not, since when you first changed the brown background to the one with the soldiers we had a similar issue at first, which you couldn't see because of the resolution of your screen. Perhaps (hopefully) you have better ones now, but I still think it's worth pointing out. It looks a bit... broken.

Secondly, I think the black forum headers are a bit too dark. I love the new top header though Wink

Thirdly, I like the idea with the new post indicators mimicking the look of selection buttons in the game, but they're unfortunately a bit pixely.

I suppose it was time though. Must've been years since the last background change, though it kind of feels like it was a few weeks ago. Razz

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I know all these issues. The buttons are pixelated, because they are GIF and I don't know the code file in which I can change the format to the much smoother PNG.

I've seen the new design on widescreens as well and knew how it'd look like in first place. I perfectly know and see it's not the nice, new professional way to do backgrounds. However, that's also not what I was going for. You can call me a straight egoist on that point. It's like that, because it works on my small screen and because I like it more than the older version. Devil
Neither the prior design was perfect nor is this one, but it looks much better.

This site design is transient anyway and will change in a much more radical way once we get to realize all the site plans we have made. Then I promise a professionally designed site for everyone.

If someone's actually surprised why I'm currently so lax about the site design, then the actual reason can easily be found in the low popularity of the site for the community. In regards of that the website ranks somewhere above Twitter and Google+, which are by far our worst channels. ModDB and Facebook are the most popular places. So, our website basically is mainly used as a knowledge base and occasionally people come around for some chats, specific topics or support questions.

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
You can call me a straight egoist on that point. It's like that, because it works on my small screen and because I like it more than the older version.
What if I were to buy you a new screen? Mr. Green

Quote:
Neither the prior design was perfect nor is this one, but it looks much better.
I never was too fond of the last background either. I like this image more, even though the desert theme might seem a little out of place for the name. It's the being cut off that annoys me. To be honest I would prefer a solid background colour in this case.

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject:

SAOL wrote:
What if I were to buy you a new screen? Mr. Green

I'd probably be as egoist and just make the same scene in the resolution of the new screen. Which is, if that'd equal your resolution, an effective counter-measure. lol

Quote:
I never was too fond of the last background either. I like this image more, even though the desert theme might seem a little out of place for the name. It's the being cut off that annoys me. To be honest I would prefer a solid background colour in this case.

Yeah, agreed. Won't change much though ^^

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Oh no, I'd overcompensate. Mr. Green

Spoiler:

Computer professionals deserve plenty of space Wink

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Hm, widescreen for widescreen website. I think we have a deal. Topmodel
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject:

I suddenly realised you might make it so wide that I would have to scroll horizontally. Confused

Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject:

No no, only the actual forum width can cause that. The background image could be a dozen times wider without any horizontal scrolling bar to appear. Mr. Green

caveman909
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Personnally it doesnt bother me that much lol
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Tilanus Commodor wrote:
No no, only the actual forum width can cause that. The background image could be a dozen times wider without any horizontal scrolling bar to appear. Mr. Green
Looks like I've painted myself into a corner quite nicely lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Website feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1