Forum Index -> NE Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USA
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: New Civilizations

Egypt
Unique Units: Heavy Camel, Two-Handed Swords Man, Bandit
Bonus: Buildings are cheaper. You don't have an explorer but you start of with a Egyptian King riding on a camel.
Best Units: Mamelukes, Skirmishers

Ireland
Unique Units: Irish Grenadiers
Bonus: Every unit cost coins. No food and no wood (except for the buildings. they cost wood.)
Best Units: Irish Grenadiers, Musketeers

Malta
Unique Units: Men At Arms, Knight, Arbalest, Siege Ram, Trebuchet,
Siege Onager, Hoop Thrower, Scout Cavalry, Monk (Note: The Maltese has the most Unique Units)
Bonus: Halberdiers starts at the Colonial Age while Pikeman and Hussar starts at the Fortress Age, You don't have an explorer. Instead you start of with a Scout Cavalry.
Best Units: Hussar, Knight

Korea
Unique Units: War Wagon, Turtle Ship, Korean Galley, Korean Cavalry, Korean Skirmisher
Bonus: Docks train faster. You start of with a Korean Monk than an explorer. Fishing Boats Gather Faster.
Best Units: War Wagon, Turtle Ship

Mongolia
Unique Units: Nomad, Mangudai, Light Cavalry, Clubman
Bonus: You don't have settlers. Instead you have Nomads. If you start the game then you have more resources but less Nomads. You start of with a Mongol Lancer.
Best Units: Cavalry Archer, Mangudai

Pirates of The Caribbean
Unique Units, Pirate, Pirate Ship, Bombard Cannon, Workers, Ship Artist, Captain
Bonus: You start off at an Island. You don't have villagers. You have Workers gathering resources. You Fishing Boats can build a Fish Trap. You start of with a Captain than an explorer. They only train infantry and artillery.
Best Units: Pirate, Pirate Ship
Fig Newton
Totenkopfhusar
Totenkopfhusar

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject:

I like these civ ideas.

I don't know what you had in mind, but I can suggest what can be done to make these civs possibilities, like choosing the right unit models to represent these unique units that you suggested, USA.

Egypt- Camel: Sowar, Swordsman: rajput, explorer: mansabar sowar, bandit: thugee

Ireland- ehh... I don't really know about this one.

Malta- most of these are available unit already, but it would be a fun civ to play as. I wonder if the explorer should be a knight instead, like Alain from the first campaign? Explorer aura: "body guards" (small aura range, but signifcantly increases armor vs. hand combat of nearby units)

Korea- Turtle Ship: I wonder if you can change the skin on the ironclad to make it look like a turtle ship, , I like the idea of better fishing ships, but how about also a card that greatly increases farming but slightly reduces fishing rates, as a late game card?

Mongolia- Nomad: Nootka clubman

Pirates (I love this idea)- captain: Bolivar, TC is called port, add corsair to unique units; since pirates came about simply for personal profit and racketeering, I think they should only be able to gather gold resource.. workers can only gather gold.. ships autogather gold, docks have an attack, everything costs gold. pirate units are much stronger than units of other civs, but they have the lower pop count than even Switzerland.
Pirates get gold for destroying buildings, in addition to getting experience.. they get a little more experience from killing units than other civs.. Pirates get shipments faster... Pirates get all saloon techs (whorin, drinkin) except for preachin', and they have standard mercenaries available in addition to the RMS generated mercs.. i.e. more mercenaries are available to the Pirates for recruitment.
If the map isn't a water RMS, pirates can click an option available in the TC called "stranded" which converts them into a standard-type civ with villagers (that gather any resource), musketeers, hussars, etc (essentially grand armee without the unique units) You only want to choose this at the beginning b/c it will return you to the discovery age.
Pirates have a unique revolution called "mutiny" ...all your workers turn into pirates, gold gathering is halted, explorer/captain killed, but your units gain hp and attack
Finally, as an extra precaution b/c Pirates have a weaker start, all buildings have a small attack.

BTW, what would ship artist do?
TheAussieDigger
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject:

remember the artillery which ive now forgotten the name of in some other topic in suggestions for korea.

1. why mongolia?

2. why ireland?

3. i think everyone else has been mentioned in the major/minor civs topic.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject:

IT is a lot... Confused

Drago
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject:

no ireland, maybe minor Ireland, Scotland, Mongolia and Korea

Pirates, yeah Cool

Egypt already a minor one

Malta already is
buggy123
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject:

lol pirates? I don't think they count as a established "Civilization"
TheAussieDigger
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject:

i reckon it would work.
they should have an explorer who is VERY GOOD at collecting treasures. they should also have very cheap merceneries.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Why would the pirate be better at finding treasure? That sounds a bit romantic in my ears.

TheAussieDigger
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject:

who cares!!! Mr. Green
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject:

disgust

TheAussieDigger
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject:

well thats pretty much all they were trying to do. so why wouldnt they be good at collecting treasures?
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject:

WEll, they still had to go through the same trouble.

Fig Newton
Totenkopfhusar
Totenkopfhusar

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject:

Yeah, and pirates were totally better at burying treasure.. but you have to wonder where they got it in the first place. Confused

I agree that pirates of the Caribbean aren't really an organized civilization.. but it would be a fun civ for aoe.
buggy123
Austrian Line Infantry
Austrian Line Infantry

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject:

we can start a seperate mod for them along with the other crazier but fun ideas. But we should leave them out of NE
BafanaBafanaBoks
Swiss Guard
Swiss Guard

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject:

I'm going to be strait up about this, mostly because it's the Australian way and also because I feel like it; none of those civilisations had any kind of major impact on the world like the countries in AoE III. Even the nations in Napoleonic Era have had far more influence during the time period in question.

-Egypt has only ever been notably important during their Pharaoh days - and during the cold war years, I admit, what with their Arabic dislike of Israel, but that's not the topic here.
-Ireland I am quite sure was firmly a part of the UK during these years.
-Malta is a strategic location for regional and otherwise powerful national powers, NOT a power in itself.
-Wasn't Korea overrun by the Japanese or something at this point in time? China, maybe? Too overrun to bother making outdated ships like the Turtle vessel, which I believe had it's heyday back in AoE II times.
-Mongolia has, like Egypt, only had one real time in the sun, and that was under the Khans, not the time period in question.
-As for the pirates...just, no. I'm sorry, but even in their prime, pirates were nothing more than tools for empires, not competitors with them.

It's always fun to dream up new civilisations and such, but really, I personally think these ones are stretching the 'do-ability' of it. A lot of these guys are fairly primitive, and are quite unimportant during the time period, to be honest. Maybe they would fit better in an AoE II-timed game format, but most certainly not this one.
TheAussieDigger
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject:

we also have to remember this a napolenoic era, and therefore the wars focussing around napoleon.

pirates?-no

mongolia?-no

korea?-no

ireland was planned for an invasion, but it never arose, so no

malta and egypt however? nodding smiley

in my opinion, malata, and especially egypt, deserva a place in the NE mod.

all in favour say aye!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4