Food
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 33, 34, 35  Next

Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject:

So chocolate ice cream with chocolate brownies? Mr. Green I'm guessing you are a fan of chocolate. I'm not sure I agree with you about the vanilla though; I think good vanilla ice cream is one of the best flavours.

My favourite, however, is also a variety of chocolate: orange-chocolate. It's a terrific combination.

I have to say I've never come across cherry ice cream. Not even sorbet.

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Several months ago I was chatting with Harkimo. We shared with each other our positive opinions on the combination of cheese and mustard as a sandwich topping.

In that very conversation, he suggested I should try tomato paste and mustard. I didn't think it too compelling, kind of odd rather, but I said I would try. I didn't; I forgot about it. Confused

Yesterday I was making beef Stroganoff for dinner. As I put mustard and tomato paste into the pan, it all came back to me. I realised that the combination I had been sceptical about obviously made an awesomely delicious sauce, so perhaps it would indeed be nice on a sandwich. So I tried. Mr. Green

And... it makes a much better sauce. Maybe I overdid it and took a bit much of each, because it really felt like it was a bit too much. A bit too intensive. Tomato paste can be quite bitter. I'd rate it 5/10.

Does anyone else put anything strange on their sandwiches?

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, you're supposed to have a lot of mustard and only a little tomato paste. It has a lot of taste. lol
You'd need a good cheese as well, possibly a Grevé or a Svecia.

I often heat KNÄCKEBROT! in the microwave with cheese on it. That's actually rather tasty. You have to be careful, though, as the cheese might disappear if you heat it for too long.
peugeot407
Councillor
Councillor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Disappear through the holes in the knackebrod? Mr. Green

peugeot407

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject:

Wait? Cheese as well? Ok then, I'll give it another go. We seldom have grevé or svecia though.

Also, what kind of mustard would you use?

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject:

This...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXJSmxi2buc

SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Yesterday for dinner I made something in collaboration with my mother, the result of which I just can't resist bragging about a little bit.

Over night we made a steak in the oven, in a pot, at low temperature, and it came out so incredibly tender you could scoop the meat with a spoon. And the sauce...

Dead simple and deadly delicious.

Anyway I tried to film it because it looked so ridiculous, but by the time I did it the meat had gone so cold that it had hardened considerably. And the most tender bits had been eaten Sad Here it is anyway: http://1drv.ms/1xPQmDn

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Huh, freaky. I breathed in and cleared my throat about when you did.

Aye, they tend to end up good if you know how to do 'em. I prefer things that don't take too much time though.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject:

Harkimo wrote:
Huh, freaky. I breathed in and cleared my throat about when you did.

Aye, they tend to end up good if you know how to do 'em. I prefer things that don't take too much time though.
I've had a really bad cold, so I've had to stay home all week. It's the evidence you're hearing. It also means I've had plenty of time, but on this particular day I had hoped to be well enough to go to school (I wasn't) so I got up at six o'clock in the morning and took it out of the oven.

Anyway, the effective time it took to make isn't particularly much longer than... say 20 minutes. Which isn't actually all that much. It just requires that you plan it the day before.

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Exactly. A bit different to, say, pasta.

I had a lovely dinner yesterday: artichoke soup with a cheese-bread stick, beef with a square piece of Hasselbak-potato and lovely sauce, and finally chocolate mousse with melon and pineapple. Mr. Green
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject:

Oh, what was the occasion? Smile And how were the potatoes squared? If they were simply cut they ought to have been pretty small? Confused

*edit* Oh now I see. Hasselbakpotatis. Clever Razz Thought it might have been a typo at first.

Quote:
Exactly. A bit different to, say, pasta.
I actually think pasta's reputation for being fast and easy is a bit undeserved, especially if you have conventional stove which is slow to boil water and use 8 minute-pasta. But then I'm not very fond of pasta in the first place, so I'm probably biased. Razz

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject:

It was the joint celebration of two of my relatives. They seemed to enjoy it well enough Razz

I think the potatoes were pretty big in the first place - they were... what's the word? Bake-potato? Either way, they were cut up into slices that were joined together by the bottom of the potato.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject:

A simultaneous birthday? That's nice. My brother and uncle share the same birthday. We've been quite bad at celebrating at the same time, however.

Quote:

I think the potatoes were pretty big in the first place - they were... what's the word? Bake-potato? Either way, they were cut up into slices that were joined together by the bottom of the potato.
Yes, I got it. Very clever.

It's soooooo good though. It's something one should do more often. Not the healthiest thing in the world, but you can't go about worrying about that all of the time. Devil

Apparently there is an eating disorder that's about extreme phobia of eating foods perceived to be unhealthy called orthorexia. Must be awful.

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject:

I don't think I realised I was clever myself, but in hindsight...

Well, it wasn't actually their birthday. We just celebrated it at the same time lol

I think it's an awful lot of hassel... Razz

Orthorexia, eh? Sounds like it would be common. Phobias are pretty interesting.
SAOL
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Oh, I suppose that's quite practical anyway. The more the merrier they say (although I don't really agree).

Those little lumps of gold require a bit of an effort, that's true. It's not that bad though. On the other hand, it's quite nice to have a selection of food reserved for special occasions. It's not unlike Christmas food, or julmust.

Quote:
Orthorexia, eh? Sounds like it would be common. Phobias are pretty interesting.
Yup, there certainly is a health and fitness trend going on which is sure to sweep some people along. Even so most of those who hop on the train of nearly obsessive healthy eating probably wouldn't qualify for a diagnosis.

And in a way it's better than anorexia. Some of the diets that come out of it are completely bonkers though. Raw-foodism for instance... horrible for your teeth.

Harkimo
Emperor
Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject:

A friend of mine had this period when he only ate stone age food. Ended pretty quickly, obviously/fortunately.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 34 of 35