Americans
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Forum Index -> Balance & Strategies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLittleBastard
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Americans

Any thoughts or strategies while playing as the Americans? I usually just spam Marines and back them up with either natives or Guard Hussars and cannons.
alvaro_qc
Fusilier
Fusilier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject:

It depends on your gamestyle, mine is a mix of turtling-30 min no rush. My strategy (I play on difficult) is in the first age I send 8 settlers to each economy (Wood, Food, Coin), I build 1 or 2 trade post on the route to ensure a tricle of XP, I sent settler shipment, next do some outposts to defend my colony meanwhile I advance (I'm a slow advancer, like 12 min), when I am in the colonial age I sent food shipments and I made a little army of 20 marines, I expand my economy sending 3 settlers to food, 3 settlers to wood (The settlers which I send to the food is hunting, hunting one gets more food than farming) and 3 miners to gold, I make barracks and stable. Then I advance to Fortress, the same sattlers and miners to economy as in Colonial age + I make some falconets and The horse with a bonus against infantry and villagers (I forgot the name :S), if there is a lack of food I make mills, otherwise no,and if I want I make a wall. Then I advance to Industrial, I make 66 settlers and 33 miners (40 settlers to food [Of course now I use mills], 23 settlers to wood and the miners to mines if there are, otherwise I make plantatons, I use the factory shipments and I put them to proude gold or artillert depending the situation. When I have the resources I advance to Imperial, I build the capitol, I make the economy researchs. Then I have lots of resources I waste on military units [few marines, a lot of fusiliers and cavalry] and their improvemetns, I have like 2 heavy cannons of the factory, with this I attack the enemy, this takes me from 25 to 35 minutes.
HC cards I have economic/military improvement cards plus those depending on the map (Boats improvments for caribbean and vinland, herding in Texas, etc.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ESO
Mr_Ma_Mo
NE Assistant
NE Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Welcome

@TheLittleBastard
Would you please use a smaller avatar-image. Its current size is 300 x 280pxl, but it is forbidden (or usually not possible Rolling Eyes Confused ) to use avatars whose size is over 105 x 105pxl:
Quote:
Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 105 pixels, the height no greater than 105 pixels, and the file size no more than 40 KB.

Anyway your avatar reduces the content's space too much so try to change it before the admins catch you evil ..... Wink

And by the way.... Welcome aboard!
Continental Marine
Continental Marine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject:

(A bit off topic but) Ah, I was trying to look for a page that hosted Age of Empires 3 portraits that were used online for members, does anyone have a link to that so I could replace my Avatar?
alvaro_qc
Fusilier
Fusilier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Or just resize your avatar using Gimp, PS, Office Picture Manager, etc. to 105x105 px. PS: .:here:. you can founs all the TWC icons
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ESO
AlsetFSIA
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject:

I usually have all upgrade cards in my deck, like rum distillery and refrigeration. Also military upgrades.

It's very hard to get through the first 3 eras (I play Expert or Hard). I like to keep food collecting as priority, while consistently building up houses and training more marines. Other resources are still collected for upgrades but slightly diminished.

After that, though, the AI starts to lose its advantage and you can build up forces for a counter attack.
BazzBrother
Chevauxleger
Chevauxleger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject:

I dont know about you guys, but i dont like to finish a game to quikly, actually i like to enjoy my games fro hours, i dont even care if i lose at times, its all about the small things like having a small group of voltigeurs hold a forrest against wave after wave of Russians or having a regiment(27) of Muskatters defend my allies against armies of skirmishers and Filed Cannons, or onece I wiped out 50 Ottoman abus guns with a hand full of heavy infantry ^.^

http://www.zombo.com/
Tilanus Commodor
NE Commander
NE Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject:

TheLittleBastard wrote:
(A bit off topic but) Ah, I was trying to look for a page that hosted Age of Empires 3 portraits that were used online for members, does anyone have a link to that so I could replace my Avatar?

done and I agree to your last post Wink

** Support me to support NE **

Test your Age of Empires knowledge in my
Grand Age of Empires quiz! King Green!
Mowen Man
Fusilier
Fusilier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject:

A good American rush is to send all your 6 settlers to gather food. As soon as you can, train minutemen (task a few settlers on coin if you have too). then keep training as many marines as you can from the town center until you get your first card. Send either fusiliers, hussars, or marines (preferably fusiliers), and as soon as you get the shipment, attack as quickly as possible before your enemy can train any soldiers. They should still be focused on training settlers.
Imperial Austerium
French Conscript
French Conscript

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject:

Spamming Marines and cannons I find works quit well.

But I like to direct my fire personally. And I keep my Infantry together in a compact unit, and volley fire.
BazzBrother
Chevauxleger
Chevauxleger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Thats kind of what I tend to do to get rid of a few enemys right off the bat. (I like to play 2 vs 6 on hard and expert versus Al). I quikly destroy the first town before it gets towers or soldiers, and the second one I start to bunch up my marines in squads of ten or so, and I have them sarround the town so they can just go in and kill some villagers for a few seconds then return back to stations outside the town.

Revere
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject:

if you just spam marines in the beginning cant they be easily countered by x-bows/longbows + TC fire
BazzBrother
Chevauxleger
Chevauxleger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject:

sure, but thats why there is strategy Smile . charge them with a wave of ten (melee) and fire on them with the rest (or just a couple). I have destroyed countless cavelry armies with skirmishers, and skirmishers(plus cannons) with muskateers in lesser numbers Cool. As for the towers, my marines tend to get there just in time to destroy them before or during construction. Its mainly luk and good troop managements.

RussianMobster
Prussian Landwehr
Prussian Landwehr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject:

Marines ftw! Just micro good and you will be fine Razz I get annoyed by ideal vill glitch though so i dont play americans swiss and italians :C
Italian Utili
Italian Utili

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject:

I ended up using Skrimishers. They were tougher Surprised Burn huh?

I'm still trying to figure out my stratedy economically. Thanks to the Salve unit I pratically double my food and gold intake, but I'm still trying to balance everything out
William Wallace was trying to convice an Irishmen that he was in fact, William Wallace. William answered his questions by saying, "To answer your questions, yes. Fight for me and you get to kill the English." The Irishmen's eye lit up and with a broad smile he said, "Excellent!"
Fig Newton
Totenkopfhusar
Totenkopfhusar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject:

I feel that mounted riflemen are underpowered.. if they were closer to the strength of the Sioux mounted riflemen they would be worth the 2 pop space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Balance & Strategies All times are GMT
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7